Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Hunting > Long Range Hunting & Shooting

Long Range Hunting & Shooting Nightforce Optics

First custom build and I have a couple questions.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-07-2014, 06:31 PM
Silver Member

First custom build and I have a couple questions.

After a couple of years of semi customs I decided to have a full custom hunting rifle built. It will start with a Rem 700 action trued/blueprinted. (which was completed yesterday) Bartlein 3b contour, 9 twist, finished at 26". HS precision stock and Zeiss glass. It will be in 7mm rem mag. As of yet I have not decided on a trigger. I have used Timney in the past and like them but is Jewel a better option? For a hunting rifle I like about a 2# squeeze. Also should I upgrade to a better recoil lug or is the factory lug sufficient? Then there is the crown. I was under the impression that crowns don't really make a difference. Just there to protect the rifling. But does it matter? I would like to hear your opinions. Thanks
Old 08-07-2014, 10:36 PM
Platinum Member

Re: First custom build and I have a couple questions.

I will comment on your trigger question. I have both Timney and Jewell. IMO, the Jewell is a smoother trigger. With that said, I hunt with both and in a field situation I find that there is no appreciable difference in performance (they both get it done!).

Brandon
Old 08-08-2014, 05:47 AM
Silver Member

I always thought a custom was on custom action and a semi-custom was on a factory trued action? I have a rem 700 that I have had done. the only thing left from the factory is the action and the bolt, though both have been through the mill and lathe. As far as the crown is concerned, you are correct, it just protects the rifling, no magic there. +1 on the Jewel, have both, like the Jewel better though, I like it set at 1#. As far as the recoil lug, my smith put one on and bedded the action. It probably depends on haw far you want to shoot it, and how anal you are about accuracy. I figured that while I am spending the money, I'll just save for another couple of months and do it right. Good Luck!
Old 08-08-2014, 07:35 AM
Platinum Member

Trigger: no question, go with Jewell. They are simply the best. Two friends of mine have had Timney triggers and both of them have failed! (one of them twice!)

Recoil Lug: Personally, I like Holland recoil lugs. They are quality steel, 1/4" thick (which is thicker than a factory lug) and are completely parallel. The other option is to have the factory lug milled so that it is parallel.

Crown: go with something that recesses the rifling below the end of the barrel. This will protect the rifling should you drop the rifle or it slide off when leaned against a tree.

For your 7mag, shoot the 168 or 180grain bullets.
Old 08-08-2014, 09:00 AM
Gold Member

Trigger : Jewel hands down

Recoil lug : I like fat beefy ones but dont think it matters.

Crown : like this one
Attached Thumbnails - Click to View Larger
First custom build and I have a couple questions.-image.jpg  
Old 08-08-2014, 09:15 AM
Silver Member

You are right this isn't a full custom. But it really doesn't matter to me. This is the first rifle I am having built. I appreciate all of the responses. The gunsmith that is building this for me told me to consider the Jewel triggers. I have a brand new Timney for this action sitting on my work bench. So I figure that I would ask the question about Jewels. I pretty much knew what the answer was going to be. The gunsmith offered to mill the factory recoil lug and I was not sure what to tell him. That is why I asked about aftermarket lugs. I will have him mill the factory lug. As far as the crown goes he really didn't have an opinion. So a recessed crown sounds like the way I will go. Thanks again for the input. This helped me finalize my decisions.
Old 08-08-2014, 09:21 AM
Silver Member

And as far as bullets go, I have three that I am going to try. 168gr LRX, 160gr accubonds, and 154gr Interbonds. I was thinking about going to the 180gr burgers but all I can find currently is the target version. I have 4 different powders I will be trying also. IMR 4350, RL 19, RL 22, and IMR 7828ssc. I would love to try H1000 but can't find it anywhere. I have new Norma brass and using Winchester magnum rifle primers. I should be able to get something that will work. Thanks again everyone.
Paul