Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Hunting > Long Range Hunting & Shooting

Long Range Hunting & Shooting Nightforce Optics

First build

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-15-2012, 11:19 PM
Silver Member

First build

I am looking a building a 6.5 creedmoor in left handed and want to find a used 700 actin to make it from. what calibers would I look for that could be rechamber to fit the creedmoor and what do u have to do to go from one to the other???? Thanks for your help

Or the same situation wit a .264
Old 11-15-2012, 11:41 PM

Re: First build

Any short action with a 308 bolt face wil work nicely if you are going to feed from the mag you may want to use the 22-250 mag spacer and follower.
Quote:
Originally Posted by timmymic View Post
I am looking a building a 6.5 creedmoor in left handed and want to find a used 700 actin to make it from. what calibers would I look for that could be rechamber to fit the creedmoor and what do u have to do to go from one to the other???? Thanks for your help

Or the same situation wit a .264
use a long action with magnum bolt face
Old 11-15-2012, 11:53 PM
Silver Member

So if I bought a 700 cdl in a 7mag it would work good for the 264??? Idk if the 7mag is short or long I am assuming long
Old 11-16-2012, 12:09 AM

7mag will work great for the 264 7 mag is a long action
Old 11-16-2012, 12:11 AM
Silver Member

Ohhh thank u very much that is awesome news! So is it as easy as just changing the barrel after getting the 7 mag
Old 11-16-2012, 09:51 AM
Platinum Member

I know you want a Remmy, but if you want to do the work yourself, you will want to get a Savage or a Stevens rifle. Both have a barrel nut that with a few hand tools you can screw a barrel on and set head space on your own. With a Remington, you will need to either get it made to accept a barrel nut to set the head space by yourself, or you will need to have a smith cut and time the threads so that you have correct head space from the bolt face. That is why I am a Savage/Stevens fan. It is much easier to build on. Any time you get a magnum, it is good to get the long action (I know, I know, there are short mags). The reason being even with the short mags, if you chose to shoot the longer high ballistic coefficient bullets and have a long throat cut, it can be a problem trying to get a short action magazine to accept and feed the longer dimensions. Now I know there are some options to extend the magazine on a short action, but the long action doesn't require this upgrade.

As for the Creedmore, from my understanding, the short action will work fine with all bullets. This is the caliber I believe I will build in my next rifle if I decide not to go with the Lapua. My cousin has a 6.5 Lapua and anxious to see how it shoots today.
Matthew 7:13-14
"Enter through the narrow gate. For wide is the gate and broad is the road that leads to destruction, and many enter through it. [14] But small is the gate and narrow the road that leads to life, and only a few find it.

If you find your self in a fair fight, your tactics suck!- Marine 1st Sergeant Jim Ryfinger

Friends don't let friends develop canonitis!-chucknbach

arguing over the internet is like the special Olympics....even if you win, you are still...special!
Old 11-16-2012, 10:03 AM
Silver Member

To tell you the truth remington or savage doesnt really bother me either way i might lead toward a savage because i want a stainless action and factory made left handed the only thing i can find is the savage weather warrior! are they good guns?