Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Hunting > Long Range Hunting & Shooting

Long Range Hunting & Shooting Nightforce Optics

First blood with .257 Wby Mag.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-30-2010, 03:42 PM
Platinum Member

Re: First blood with .257 Wby Mag.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike33 View Post
You don't need a heavy bullet like your looking for to take whitetail. I've been shooting 25's including 2 - 257 whby's for over 20 years and the 100 grain does the job. The best but they quit making it was the nosler solid base. The speer, sierra fb, bt and hornady will kill any whitetail you can hit. I wouldn't get real wrapped up in bc because the 25's does not have a great selection.
Mike
I know what you mean Mike. The 110 AccuBonds did an awesome job on that doe I shot....But I would like a little bit heavier bullet for a little bit larger game like Elk and Carribou. Plus a heavier bullet would have a better BC, therefore would make the .257 Wby have a little bit better ballistics after 500 yards.

This is just my thoughts. I am just brainstorming and trying to get some other opinions as to what others might think of this idea.

"Give me a minute...I'm good. Give me an hour...I'm great. Give me 6 months...And I'm unbeatable." - Col. Hannibal Smith

Ignore everything I say, because I have a reading comprehension and memory problem...

Quote:
Originally Posted by WildRose View Post
The 284 is to the STW what a tricycle is to a Ninja.
Old 03-30-2010, 04:35 PM
Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MudRunner2005 View Post
I know what you mean Mike. The 110 AccuBonds did an awesome job on that doe I shot....But I would like a little bit heavier bullet for a little bit larger game like Elk and Carribou. Plus a heavier bullet would have a better BC, therefore would make the .257 Wby have a little bit better ballistics after 500 yards.

This is just my thoughts. I am just brainstorming and trying to get some other opinions as to what others might think of this idea.
Not trying to be a smart ass but what i posted i have done outr to 575. It seems like lightning strike with this gun. Im now putting togeather a 25 Bobcat which is a 270 wsm necked down. Hoping to get close th whby. vel. out of it. I also have a 25x284 with the sierra fb getting 3550 1/2 moa 3 shot groups outr of a ultra lite from ultra lite arms. That gun with 30 mm scope , loaded, sling, bipod, weighs in at 7 1/4 lb.
Mike
Old 04-05-2010, 03:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MudRunner2005 View Post
I would like to find the heaviest .257 caliber bullet I can for whitetail deer hunting. I was hoping around a 140-150 grain (if even possible) to have the most knock-down power I can.
They do....its called a 270WBY.

Seriously though, if they did make a 140-150gr .257 bullet it would be so long that it either would cause difficulty loading, fitting the magazine or simply would be set so far into the case that you would loose more powder capacity than you would be willing to give up. RG
Old 04-05-2010, 12:14 PM
Platinum Member

Thanks RG. That's what I wanted to know. If they exist...and if not, why not?

Thanks again guys.

"Give me a minute...I'm good. Give me an hour...I'm great. Give me 6 months...And I'm unbeatable." - Col. Hannibal Smith

Ignore everything I say, because I have a reading comprehension and memory problem...

Quote:
Old 06-03-2010, 08:10 AM
Platinum Member

Well.....I might be adding another AccuMark to the collection this afternoon.

My buddy at the outdoors store recieved a used .30-378 on consignment late yesterday afternoon.

The price seems right, so I just might have to go get it. Dang, anther gun.....

Can't wait if I do! This weekend I'll be at the range doing a little

Quote:
Old 02-22-2011, 10:11 AM
Platinum Member

Well, no go on the other Accumark. It was just too beat-up for the money.

Also, another deer season came and went and only got to go hunting a couple of times...It sucked.

Anybody get any monster bucks this year?

Quote: