Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Hunting > Long Range Hunting & Shooting

Long Range Hunting & Shooting Nightforce Optics

First blood with .257 Wby Mag.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-09-2009, 09:43 AM
Platinum Member

First blood with .257 Wby Mag.

Well yall, I finally did it...

The VERY FIRST time I took my new Accumark .257 Wby Mag. in the woods, I shot me a 100 lb. nanny.

I'm shooting the Weatherby (brand) 110gr. Accubond's....and was thoroughly impressed at how the were at close range!

She was about 75-80 yards from me, and I shot her at about a 45* angle, right through the shoulder. Left a nice, small intrance, and a nice small exit wound...

When we tracked her (had to cause she ran about 50 yards, and it was pitch-black by the time we all met back up at my truck), we found little bits of blood here and there....

After we run her by the processor, we stood there while they cut her open, and to the boy's amazement...he didn't see ANY lungs!

It popped both of them perfectly, and just disentigrated them! It did NO other damage to her!!!

Ruined virtually NO meat, and she didn't go very far...

I just wanted to say that I have never been more pleased with ANY of my other guns other than my .308 and my 7mm Rem. Mag.

I hope this helps some others who might be trying to decide on the .257 Wby Mag.

In my opinion, this proves to me, that my little "lazer gun" is just as effective at close range with those 110gr. Accubond's as it is at 300 yards.

".257 Wby Mag.......I use it......I love it!"
Old 02-09-2009, 11:31 AM
Bronze Member

Re: First blood with .257 Wby Mag.

Of all of my rifles, the 257 WBY is hands down my favorite. It is an awesome round. I have taken several White Tail and Mulies with mine and I couldn't have been more pleased with the gun and bullet performance. It shoots really flat
Old 02-09-2009, 11:42 AM
Platinum Member

Oh Yeah...that's why I called it a "lazer gun"...b/c if I sight mine in at 2.6" high at 100 yards...I'm dead-on at 300 yards!

That's really flat!

I love mine alot...It my favorite of all of my rifles as well.

"Give me a minute...I'm good. Give me an hour...I'm great. Give me 6 months...And I'm unbeatable." - Col. Hannibal Smith

Ignore everything I say, because I have a reading comprehension and memory problem...

Quote:
Originally Posted by WildRose View Post
The 284 is to the STW what a tricycle is to a Ninja.
Old 02-09-2009, 08:31 PM
Gold Member

Normally nothing moves when hit. Wait to the next time you will be impressed.
mike
Old 02-10-2009, 09:36 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike33 View Post
Normally nothing moves when hit. Wait to the next time you will be impressed.
mike
Well, unfortunately, I'll have to wait until next year, b/c our deer season went out January 31...

So, I'll have to wait until then, and I can't afford to go anywhere else to go hunting...that costs too much money, right now (as far as my wallet's concerned).

Yeah, she was at a bad angle, and if I'd hit her broadside, she'd been D.I.H.T. (dead in her tracks).

But she was behind brush, so I couldn't tell how badly angles she was.

Next time I'm gonna wait till I have a 100% clear shot, and place it right in that little "knot" behind the shoulder (heart).

I'd love to shoot one at like 300 yards, but where I've been hunting lately, there's not anywhere to take a shot like that...

"Give me a minute...I'm good. Give me an hour...I'm great. Give me 6 months...And I'm unbeatable." - Col. Hannibal Smith

Ignore everything I say, because I have a reading comprehension and memory problem...

Quote:
Originally Posted by WildRose View Post
The 284 is to the STW what a tricycle is to a Ninja.
Old 02-10-2009, 11:27 PM

Shot my best whitetail this year in Montana with a remington 7oo LSS in 257 Weatherby. The range was 472 yards and I was using the Nosler 110 accubond over RL-25. It walked 1o feet and fell over. First time i used the 257 and I couldn't be more impressed.
Old 02-11-2009, 09:45 AM
Gold Member

I have never lost anything with it. My shots have been all under 300 yards. I had my first one built in 1990 by Clarence Hammonds a bench rest smith i used to shoot with. I like it so well i thought i should have 2. I had a new rem. 25-06 had a friend open the barrel to 257 whby and bolt face, surprising it shoots damn near as good as my custom. For years i shot and hunted with the 100 grain nosler solid base vel. around 3700 fps with 70.5 gr of imr 4831. My rem factory opened up i shot 68.5 4831 never checked ve. Nosler did away with the soild base so i went to 100 grain Sierra FB. It shoots very well also. Both bullets is great for hunting most deer i shot could not hit the ground hard enough. Other few didnt get 3 steps. Whats nice it is enjoyable to shoot. Im currently building a 25 wsm and going to try 100 gr. nosler bt. In my area i can not see any benefit of anything over 100 gr. bullet.
mike