Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Hunting > Long Range Hunting & Shooting

Long Range Hunting & Shooting Nightforce Optics

***First 3 shot group @ 381 YARDS***

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-16-2009, 10:57 AM
Platinum Member

***First 3 shot group @ 381 YARDS***

Well in the past we would always shoot our groups @ 100 yards I just recently shot a nice 200 yard group and it has been a while since i've been able to get in some trigger time so last sat. I shot my first ever 381 yard 3 shot group I understand that this is not what some call long range but this is as far as the property that I use will let me get. The group measured 3.092 I feel like I can do a little better than this but I was wandering what you guys think is this poor or fair or really good don't worry about my feelings Let me know what you think?

Bigbuck
Old 11-16-2009, 12:06 PM
Platinum Member

Re: ***First 3 shot group @ 381 YARDS***

That is a Sub MOA group at the distance that you are shooting. But how good is it, depends on what are you shooting it with. What is your experience shooting, and what conditions where you shooting in. It looks like a good group, but tell us more info and you will get more objective responses.
Old 11-16-2009, 12:50 PM
Platinum Member

Theoretically you are shooting a competitive grouping. You should expect a minimum of 1=per hundred yards. 381yrds should yield a grouping of 3.81 inches or less. With a group measuring 3.092 puts you well under the 1MOA per hundred that is required for most long range training schools. Running through a program that reads and calculate groupings on targets, 3.092 puts you roughly at .755 MOA at 381. That is not to shabby. Assuming your load will maintain that, you should be able to shoot under minute of angle to 1000yrds which is plenty to kill game.

Tank
Matthew 7:13-14
"Enter through the narrow gate. For wide is the gate and broad is the road that leads to destruction, and many enter through it. [14] But small is the gate and narrow the road that leads to life, and only a few find it.

If you find your self in a fair fight, your tactics suck!- Marine 1st Sergeant Jim Ryfinger

Friends don't let friends develop canonitis!-chucknbach

arguing over the internet is like the special Olympics....even if you win, you are still...special!
Old 11-16-2009, 12:50 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by HUAINAMACHERO View Post
That is a Sub MOA group at the distance that you are shooting. But how good is it, depends on what are you shooting it with. What is your experience shooting, and what conditions where you shooting in. It looks like a good group, but tell us more info and you will get more objective responses.

Thanks for the reply,

Okay the wind was around 3 mile an hour @ the 3 0 clock position.
I had 2 bullet holes within 1/2 inch from each other then directly below those two I had one bullet hole around 2 and 3/4 inches away I would like to make mention that one unfired round was kind of stiff when I closed the bolt I'm guessing this may have been the one off by itself I'm not sure though.

Gun was 300 RUM broughton 26'' remington varmit contour barrel no fluets. DE brake and recoil lug federal 215m primers 85.5 grains retumbo nosler custom once fired brass 210 berger. Average MV is 2845 fps

Bigbuck
Old 11-16-2009, 03:45 PM
Platinum Member

Bigbuck,

It look's like you're well on your way. I'm just starting to stretch my legs alittle after a long period of load development for some rifles. I dont think you can tell a whole lot from one group but I would say it shows promise. I've just recently been geting some .25 - .5 MOA groups at 212 yds fairly consistantly when my bore is clean with a good load. My best group at 427 yds (max distance at my range) is 1.8", about .4 MOA. I'm hoping for sub .5 MOA groups to 600 yds with these factory Senderos. I think if you keep your rifle in good order, torqed rpoperly and bedded well, with a good scope that is mounted securly and really concentrate on some good consistant load work You should be able to tighten it up. In any case, you're doing a lot better than the average shooter who is getting 1 MOA on a good day.

On the case that chambered a little harder than the rest, it very well could have thrown that one shot off. I have seen it in my experiences. Once I had a 300 RUM case that had a good size dent in it just below the shoulder. It sent that bullet about 5" away from the other 3 bullets in that group that measured 2.5" @ 427 yds. Another time, I had a few 300 RUM case that were really swollen from some over pressure loads. When body sizing then they got stuck in the die and it took a of force on the handle to get them out. I beleive I bent the rims down a little on those cases and they are a little hard to chamber as result of tight headspace. They always throw fliers. Check all your brass and make sure it's unifrom. I use the irregulars for fouling shots.

Good shooting,

Mark
Old 11-16-2009, 03:56 PM
Platinum Member

Thanks guys for your replies ,

MontanaRifleman I full length size my brass everytime but this last time I had sized them a little further down than I usually do can you tell me how much space you have from the base of your brass to the bottom of your sizer die? well from the top of your shell holder to the bottom of your sizer die I only had about 1/8 of an inch I feel like I may be sizing to far down I don't really know maybe you can clear it up for me. Thanks

Bigbuck
Old 11-16-2009, 04:21 PM
Platinum Member

There is really no way I can think of to measure that distance because my body die is recessed up into the threads of the press a little. It loks like a little over an 1/8th inch. I measured the "mark" left by the body die on the case just above the rim and it is about .285" above the bottom (head) of the case. This stting sizes the case just enough for me to chamber the case just a little snugly. I do this and trimming after every firing.