Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Hunting > Long Range Hunting & Shooting

Long Range Hunting & Shooting Nightforce Optics

fired cases sticking in chamber

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-17-2013, 09:58 PM
Bronze Member

fired cases sticking in chamber

Just hoping someone might know my problem. I picked up a used Bansner 300 win with a remington action and I built a load for it a few weeks ago. No sticky bolt and shells ejected with no problem. I took the gun to a gunsmith and had the bolt fluted and a different muzzlebrake put on and when I shoot it now the bolt opens with no resistance, but the case sticks in the chamber and I really have to crank on it to get it to pop open. Even loaded down 2 grains and tried with the same result. Anyone ever had this problem? Thanks
Dennis
Old 05-17-2013, 10:28 PM
Platinum Member

Re: fired cases sticking in chamber

Sounds like brass fatigue to me. I had the same issue with my 7mmSTW, about the 3-4 loading of the brass. I wasn't loading hot, but the Federal brass stretched so much that it finally fatigued it and work-hardened it, so it lost alot of its stretch and was expanding when shot, but wasn't retracting as much as it used to for proper ejection.

How many times have you reloaded those cases?

"Give me a minute...I'm good. Give me an hour...I'm great. Give me 6 months...And I'm unbeatable." - Col. Hannibal Smith

Ignore everything I say, because I have a reading comprehension and memory problem...

Quote:
Originally Posted by WildRose View Post
The 284 is to the STW what a tricycle is to a Ninja.
Old 05-18-2013, 07:25 AM
Bronze Member

It's doing it with the new brass as well. Thought that might be the answer but shot it this morning with new brass but no change.
Old 05-18-2013, 10:13 AM
Silver Member

What brand of brass are you using? Nosler brass sticks in my rifle, but Remington with the same loads does not, even after multiple loadings. And perhaps the new muzzle brake is causing an increase in chamber pressure for some reason. I might try removing the brake for a few shots and see if that makes a difference.
Old 05-18-2013, 10:41 AM
Platinum Member

Sure you got the right bolt back, did the smith remove the barrel to install the brake?

"Pain is weakness leaving your body"
Old 05-18-2013, 12:36 PM
Gold Member

Are your cases coming out with any scratches on them I had this problem just a short while back with a 308 I traded for, the cases had slight ring marks with one that you could actually feel with your finger nail. I took it to my smith he polished the chamber and that thing ejects better than a new one and absolutly no loss in accuracy. JMO good luck let us know what you find out.
Rick

Old 05-18-2013, 01:20 PM
Bronze Member

I'm using winchester brass and there is some scuffing on the belt of some of the cases. Guess that's where it's hanging up. It is the same bolt and I did try it without the brake and getting the same results. I don't think that the smith took the barrel off. He didn't rethread the end of the barrel just made a new brake with the same thread pitch. Maybe polishing the chamber is the way to go...just vexed at why it cycled so smoothly right before the work.