Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Hunting > Long Range Hunting & Shooting

Long Range Hunting & Shooting Nightforce Optics

Finished up my 180 hybrid load in 7rm

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-17-2013, 11:13 AM
Banned

Re: Finished up my 180 hybrid load in 7rm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dick Tinsley View Post
Shawnb!
Nice shooting!! Looks like you have a winner there! Great info also. I too have aquirred a box of the 180 hybrids, just haven't tested them yet! That 7 mag that I have that is all over the place, I done what everyone suggested( 300 yard groups, etc) still the gun wouldn't act right. Tried lighter bullets an it did seem to like them a little better. Checked the twist an it's a 1-9.5 instead of 1-9. So I throwd up both hands an now it's getting rebarreld to a 338 ultra!(but that's another storey) anyway, thanks for sharing your info, as I have another 7 mag that seems to like this load! Thanks again an good shooting!!

DT
How many rounds have you put through that barrel? Mine did that and it turned out that the barrel was toasted. I did not think that I had that many rounds through it, but I loaded it fairly hot and it smoked the barrel. It now wears a Criterion barrel and shoots great.

That is a great buck by any standards! The best part about your rifle is the fact that it is left-hand! Great stuff.
Old 11-17-2013, 03:21 PM
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sbhooper View Post
How many rounds have you put through that barrel? Mine did that and it turned out that the barrel was toasted. I did not think that I had that many rounds through it, but I loaded it fairly hot and it smoked the barrel. It now wears a Criterion barrel and shoots great.

That is a great buck by any standards! The best part about your rifle is the fact that it is left-hand! Great stuff.
I bought the rifle used. I really don't know how many rounds have been down the barrel. I've owned it for about four years now, an I've probley put 400+ down the tube. I think that you are right about it being shot out. As I stated I've tried just about everything other than laying hands on it an still no improvement. So it's like I also said, it's getting rebarreled now into a 338 ultra mag with a 28 in pac-nor! I have a old 700 remington that loves the 180's!!

DT
Old 11-17-2013, 09:55 PM
Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by shawnb View Post
I plan on using them on deer this year and seeing how they do. From what ive read they will do fine. But i sure cant wait to stretch it out to 1000.
double lung shot behind the front legs and will do the trick.
I have 168 VLD Match on my 7RM at 3000fps and I got deers from 70yrds to 980yrds.
They perform great on games.

On Elk/Moose you have to limit yourself at 800 yrds range.
Old 11-17-2013, 11:02 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 300rum View Post
double lung shot behind the front legs and will do the trick.
I have 168 VLD Match on my 7RM at 3000fps and I got deers from 70yrds to 980yrds.
They perform great on games.

On Elk/Moose you have to limit yourself at 800 yrds range.
You talking about the Hunting versions or Target versions of the VLD's?

"Give me a minute...I'm good. Give me an hour...I'm great. Give me 6 months...And I'm unbeatable." - Col. Hannibal Smith

Ignore everything I say, because I have a reading comprehension and memory problem...

Quote:
Originally Posted by WildRose View Post
The 284 is to the STW what a tricycle is to a Ninja.
Old 11-17-2013, 11:14 PM
Gold Member

MATCH TARGET.

I like Match Target because they have thicker jacket and hold little bit more, and penetrate dipper before opening up.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MudRunner2005 View Post
You talking about the Hunting versions or Target versions of the VLD's?