Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Hunting > Long Range Hunting & Shooting

Long Range Hunting & Shooting Nightforce Optics

Finding average temp and humidity

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-02-2013, 01:00 PM
Bronze Member

Finding average temp and humidity

I am trying to find the average temp. and humidity for metro Yoder, WY from Sept. 15 through Dec. 1. I am going to have some custom turrets made. I would like to have them as close as I can for the time I hunt, but temps and humidity can vary widely that time of year. I know from reading these forums that temp and humidity can make quite a difference. How would you approach getting the temp and humidity as close as possible?
Old 11-02-2013, 02:28 PM
Platinum Member

Re: Finding average temp and humidity

I would not worry as much about humidity. It has very little effect at most long range hunting distances. You could put in 40% and be safe. Cant help you on the average temps. But can tell you that if you keep it under 650 or so yards you will probably be fine with a decent average. This also depends on the cartridge and ballistics of your rifle. But for the average big game rifle with a decent BC bullet, most will hold close enough for a animal with a 10" or larger kill zone.

Jeff
Old 11-02-2013, 02:44 PM
Bronze Member

Thanks, I don't really plan on shooting over 650. Just for fun if anything. I 4-500 is going to be the longest for hunting. I am using a savage long range hunter in 6.5x284 and a Tikka .300 win mag.
Old 11-03-2013, 03:19 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by muley View Post
Thanks, I don't really plan on shooting over 650. Just for fun if anything. I 4-500 is going to be the longest for hunting. I am using a savage long range hunter in 6.5x284 and a Tikka .300 win mag.
Neither will make much of an impact on you at those ranges.

Both can vary dramatically based on time of year and elevation. If you are on the plains it's going to tend to be very dry, under 20%. I the mountains probably around 40%

If you picked an average temp of about 40 Deg it probably wouldn't be too far off unless most of your hunting is going to be up high where it tends to be considerably colder.
Old 11-03-2013, 01:39 PM
Bronze Member

Thanks,

Our elevation is about 4300'.