Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Hunting > Long Range Hunting & Shooting

Long Range Hunting & Shooting Nightforce Optics

Finaly, one beyond 500

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-09-2006, 07:49 PM
Gold Member

Finaly, one beyond 500

well the last day of antlerless season I finaly found one over 500 to try my luck on.
We were in an after the hunt celebration/weigh in on an 11 yo's first black bear, nice 200 pounder. All at once the landowner said look at that deer, a buddy said you got your gun with ya, well the 7mm AM was in the truck so I unpacked it and set up, after several attempts the doe finaly walked out behind the treetop to range it. the leica said 587,584 so I set the scope on 5 MOA up and started to settle in, had a slight left to right breeze blowing so I gave it 3/4 left windage, settled the crosshairs and started tightening down on the trigger with 15-20 people behind me, the landowner said "she's just as safe as in the arms of jesus" just then the trigger broke and I saw the impact immediately followed by the doe's running gears go out from under her, you could have bought the landowner for a dime.
when we retrieved her up on the hill the slight breeze was about 9 mph, POI was about 7" right of point of aim, about 3" in front of the hams, not enough grass in the field to see the difference in the wind, but I did learn to make more effort to check the wind at the target.
JS
Old 12-09-2006, 09:13 PM
Silver Member

Re: Finaly, one beyond 500

Congratulations on your doe. I'm happy you got to let the AM stretch out, good shooting, great way to end the season.
Dave
Old 12-09-2006, 09:45 PM
Official LRH Sponsor

Congrats on your fine shot!!! Always sweeter to make a shot with a doubter behind you, also adds to the pressure though!!

Kirby Allen(50)

Allen Precision Shooting
Home of the Allen Magnum, Allen Xpress and Allen Tactical Wildcats and the Painkiller Muzzle brakes.

Farther, Faster and Flatter then ever before.

Web Page: www.apsrifles.com

allenmagnum@gmail.com
Old 12-10-2006, 02:24 AM
Gold Member

great story, love the landowner part.
Old 12-10-2006, 07:40 AM
Platinum Member

Congratulations on finding and making a shot.

Welcome to the "Fooled by the Wind Club". I think once you start shooting at animals beyond 500 yards you become a member of this club fairly quickly.

I wound up voluntarily skunked for the seaason. I could never find a shot much past 300 yards nor anything with more than a spike for a rack. I had does within 20 yards of me and three spike bucks at three hundred but nothing was worth the trouble. One thing I found out is that the 56mm Nigthforce doesn't know how to tell time. My old Redfield would call it a day when the sun went down and the Nightforce is still hunting way past legal shooting hours. There were three does and a spike buck in a field about 200 yards from my truck last night but it was way past shooting time and the Game Warden had checked my license right there a few weeks ago so I didn't bother to shoot.
Old 12-10-2006, 08:48 AM
Silver Member

Nice job! enjoy the burger/summersausage/italian sausage/roast/steaks/jerky/stew ETC [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]