Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Hunting > Long Range Hunting & Shooting

Long Range Hunting & Shooting Nightforce Optics

Finaly!!!! I got something I can eat!!!! Sitka Blacktail success

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-08-2006, 06:02 PM
Platinum Member

Location: The rifle range, or archery range or behind the computer in Alaska
Re: Finaly!!!! I got something I can eat!!!! Sitka Blacktail success

You know, I am not sure what happened on the first buck. I doubt the amax failed as they are reliable in the expansion department. I also dont think I hit any bone. I too am leary of their perfomance when bone is involved. The ribs and brisket area of a sitka blacktail isn't very stout. If I had too guess, I would say that a front on shot leaves a small vital zone for a 155 grain bullet at only 2840 FPS. If there were more horsepower involved, perhaps it would have been differant. I will say that if I am ever tempted again with a frontal shot, the bullet will be placed through that white patch under his chin. I shot a Dall ram under the chin like that through the throught and neck because thats all I could see and he rolled over in his bed. That was also with a 308 medium velocity load.

Not trying to start any arguments but after harvesting a few wolves and a blacktail with the AMAX, I am quite a bit more pleased with the performance of the AMAX's over the SMK's. For my own experiances, I have got very reliable expansion with the AMAX and not so much reliability from some of the SMK's, bearing in mind that under certain circumstances I have got SMK's to expand perfectly.
Long range shooting is a process that ends with a result. Once you start to focus on the result (how bad your last shot was, how big the group is going to be, what your buck will score, what your match score is, what place you are in...) then you loose the capacity to focus on the process.
Old 11-08-2006, 09:39 PM
Silver Member

Meichle,

I don't know that much about Sitka deer but from what I have seen, that looks like a great buck.

Congratulations,
Vic
Old 11-08-2006, 09:39 PM
Bronze Member

thats a great looking Sitka blacktail.I lived up in Ak back in the late 80's and always wanted to go try for one but never got the chance. one of these days I would like to try agian.
Congrats on a nice buck
Old 11-08-2006, 10:24 PM
Gold Member

Meichele,
After reading your post it brought back some wonderful memories for me, I hunted Sitka Blacktail on Kodiak back in 1995 around the saltery lake area. I had the time of my life, this is one of the most beautiful places on the planet. Because of an impending storm I had to fly back to Anchorage a day early and spend 24hrs at the bush co. also one of the most beautiful places on the planet.great story and pic's.
UB
p.s. what area of Kodiak were you hunting ?????