Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Hunting > Long Range Hunting & Shooting

Long Range Hunting & Shooting Nightforce Optics

Finally went beyond 1000 yards

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-25-2013, 12:04 PM
Platinum Member

Finally went beyond 1000 yards

The furthest this rifle had been shot at distance with the night force scope was at 970 yards and it was only 2 rounds. Horrible mirage that day and not worth shooting anymore. I shot several groups at 800 to get everything dialed in and confirmed. Had a hunter come in and had him shoot at 580 yards and he was dead on. I even got the windage right that time.

So yesterday my sweet Ami and I went out scouting and I wanted her to give this new set up a try. I found a rock with a little snow patch on it at 1050 yards and she let it fly. First round a tad low at 6 oclock. Second round dead on, perfect. Both shots would have killed an elk or deer. WOW. She was all grins at this point. My first shot was at 9 oclock and 6 inches left. Second round was dead on. hmmmm so I found out she held 2 to 3 MOA right. She said she thought I told her to do and since she tends to shoot left of center with my set ups, I am a left handed, she naturally held right. I corrected for wind the second time and was dead on.

Windage is my weak point for sure. So the wind was blowing quartering to from the right at 9 mph with little gusts from 6-9. I used 5 mph and 15 degrees to muzzle. That gave me a .5 MOA. Clearly I was wrong. I was given the advice a little bit ago to use 45 degrees and actual wind speed. That would have been really really close to spot on for a hunting situation. Man, I am still learning this LR stuff and it is super fun. This site sure makes it easier as well. Thanks guys.
Old 02-28-2013, 11:53 AM
Platinum Member

Re: Finally went beyond 1000 yards

Good shooting. Dont sweat it the wind takes me to school on a regular basis.
Old 02-28-2013, 12:41 PM
Gold Member

It's an awesome feeling when it all comes together! Congrats!
Old 02-28-2013, 11:11 PM
Platinum Member

Man that's great. Contrats for you both.

The more long range shooting you do the more you will learn just how right you are about the wind being the biggest thing to overcome. Fortunately the more long range shooting you do in varied locations, conditions etc the better you will become at coming up with good wind corrections.

The hardest part to deal with is the fact that often the wind will vary in direction, rise/fall, and velocity at several different points during the bullets flight.

All the fancy gear in the world will not solve that issue for you. It just takes practice until you get "the feel for it".

I try to keep it simple and just come up with an average velocity and % affect due to angle and have done pretty well with it. I've also been shooting in lots of wind since I was a kid and even with many thousands of rounds down range in the wind some days I flat miss a read and end up scratching my head.

Congrats again, you're off to a great start.
Old 03-01-2013, 09:14 AM
Platinum Member

The most common mistake I see in the field, and this includes myself, is that we tend to want to call the wind at an average or to the lighter side. Always remember the wind will be stronger up where the bullet will ark. Also if shooting across a canyon or a valley in the terrain wind will usually be stronger in the middle that it is from the point of fire. Try using the highest reading you see on the kestrel instead of an average and see how that works out. It is not a perfect solution, there are many variables, but this has helped me and some of the shooters I have taught.

Also, after the shot if you are off for windage, study for a minute why you were off. See if you can figure out where you missed the possibly hidden wind. This will surely sharpen skills in time.

Jeff
Old 03-01-2013, 09:47 AM
Platinum Member

All good points. When she was shooting and just before the wind was mostly in our face and perhaps 10-15 degrees from the right. After I shot I thought it through and checked the wind again. It was definetly in the 35 degree mark. The rock was on the right side of a gully, on a finger that fed that gully, in a large bowl shaped area. Being a pilot I recall much of the training regarding mountain features and how the wind may rise or fall depending on the features. Ya know, back sides vs front sides of fingers, ridges etc. I think shooting across the canyons, gullys, ravines etc presents a unique challenge as the wind has less influence from the obstacle of the earth.

Another perfect example of a wind issue was with my wolf hunter. On the top end of the ridge and coming down the finger the wind was stout and at about 45 degrees from our target. Hiking down the ridge about 1100 yards the wind was more at a 90 to 100 degree mark if using the same reference direction of a target. On the front side of the finger the wind was blowing 16-19 mph. On the back side it was blowing 3-5 and swirling.

So if you were on the front side would you shoot the wind reading 16-19 and on the back side would you shoot the wind reading 3-5?
Old 03-01-2013, 02:19 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrentM View Post
All good points. When she was shooting and just before the wind was mostly in our face and perhaps 10-15 degrees from the right. After I shot I thought it through and checked the wind again. It was definetly in the 35 degree mark. The rock was on the right side of a gully, on a finger that fed that gully, in a large bowl shaped area. Being a pilot I recall much of the training regarding mountain features and how the wind may rise or fall depending on the features. Ya know, back sides vs front sides of fingers, ridges etc. I think shooting across the canyons, gullys, ravines etc presents a unique challenge as the wind has less influence from the obstacle of the earth.

Another perfect example of a wind issue was with my wolf hunter. On the top end of the ridge and coming down the finger the wind was stout and at about 45 degrees from our target. Hiking down the ridge about 1100 yards the wind was more at a 90 to 100 degree mark if using the same reference direction of a target. On the front side of the finger the wind was blowing 16-19 mph. On the back side it was blowing 3-5 and swirling.

So if you were on the front side would you shoot the wind reading 16-19 and on the back side would you shoot the wind reading 3-5?
Out to 600yds an "average" works out pretty well.

From 600-1,000 that changes a bit though, and beyond 1,000yds it changes a great deal.

The slower the bullet is moving the greater the effect of wind in changing it's flight path so when trying to figure out a correction I weight the wind over the last half of the flight a little higher than the first half out to 600 and weight the last 2/3 more heavily beyond that.

If I'm putting together a long shot and have time I try to sketch out the changes I see and approximate ranges to come out with my weighting.