Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Hunting > Long Range Hunting & Shooting

Long Range Hunting & Shooting Nightforce Optics

Finally the ELK TAG is MINE!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-23-2005, 05:13 PM
Silver Member

Finally the ELK TAG is MINE!

Wooo Hooo, I drew a antlerless elk tag this year. It only took me 6 years to do it but I finally got it. The only problem is that I don't know ANYTHING about elk hunting as I have never done it and never paid much attention to the elk hunting shows.

I really hope to kill one at long range (800+). My shooting is plenty sufficient at 600. I need to find a place to practice a little furthur and I will be in buisness. I have heard that the 160gr. Accubond is the best 7mm bullet for elk (short, and long range).

This hunt takes place in the redwoods therefore if I find the elk in the clear cuts the shots could be REALLY LONG but if they aren't in the cuts then I have to find em in deep timber where the shots will be 20 yards MAX. [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smirk.gif[/img]

Oh and I forgot to mention that I am shooting a 7mm rem mag. I have a good load for the 175 SMK as well but I don't know how that would perform on the close range shots. Any suggestions would be much appreciated.
Old 06-23-2005, 08:12 PM
Bronze Member

Re: Finally the ELK TAG is MINE!

I was watching elk country journal on T.V. and they were hunting elk up in the Klamath Falls area and they shot an elk at about 50 yards in the deep timber, so I would suspect that if your hunting timber you could expect a close shot, but maybe if you sit in the clear cuts you may get a longer shot. The only range I know of in California that goes out to 1000 yards is in Sacramento, But you have to be a member or a guest of a member to shoot the 1000 yard range.
Old 06-23-2005, 10:37 PM
Silver Member

Yeah like I said, If I can I want to shoot an elk out of the clear cuts that are sometimes 1500+ across. But if push comes to shove I will have to dig them out of the dense underbrush of the redwoods. So shot distances can vary HUGELY so that is why I am looking for the most versitile bullet out there.
Old 06-24-2005, 01:58 AM
Platinum Member

7mmag man,
Congrats on your tag. If I was elk hunting with the 7mm Rem Mag, I woul look into the Norler accubond 160 grains, it has a nice bc of 0.531 and based on what I have read here it won't let you down at long range or short range.
http://www.nosler.com/chartaccubond.html
Good Hunting!

-----------------------------
HEBREWS 13:8
Jesus Christ the same yesterday, and to day, and for ever.

Our Lord Jesus said that as it was in the days of Noah and
also as it was in the days of Lot so it shall be in the days...
It's happening again!!! God sent to us His prophet, and His Word
to this generation and we once more are rejecting it as was prophesied!!!

---> As promised, God Sent His Prophet to us!
Old 06-24-2005, 02:11 AM
Silver Member

[ QUOTE ]
7mmag man,
Congrats on your tag. If I was elk hunting with the 7mm Rem Mag, I woul look into the Norler accubond 160 grains, it has a nice bc of 0.531 and based on what I have read here it won't let you down at long range or short range.
http://www.nosler.com/chartaccubond.html
Good Hunting!

[/ QUOTE ]

I'd have to agree. Accubond all the way, put that bullet where it needs to go and you'll be set.

Congrats by the way [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cool.gif[/img]
Old 06-24-2005, 06:57 AM
Platinum Member

I find the 160 Accubond to be very accurate and the BC is not that far off the 175 SMK. The extra money is worth the convience of not having to swap bullets around in your chamber.
Old 06-24-2005, 03:19 PM
Silver Member

Thanks folks, I figured that the accubond was what I needed and after seeing the results GoodGrouper had at 820 yards it sounds like it will fit the bill nicely. [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]