Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Hunting > Long Range Hunting & Shooting

Long Range Hunting & Shooting Nightforce Optics

Finally drew an Arizona bull permit part2

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-11-2004, 08:48 AM
Silver Member

Re: Finally drew an Arizona bull permit part2

Bigger is better on elk. Still takes bullet placement though. But after years of seeing all kinds of things happen I'd say you lost your bull IE didn't take him home. But I doubt that he is anywhere near dead. FWIW

Jeff
Old 11-11-2004, 10:07 AM
Silver Member

Taos - did you find any blood where you initially shot him? If not, then I would doubt that he is dead.
Where were you aiming - maybe this would shed some light on what possibly happened.

Meichele - good bull. I bet you didn't think he was "small" while you were packing him out!
Old 11-11-2004, 10:24 AM
Bronze Member

He was quartering away looking back at me over his shoulder. I was holding behind his left shoulder trying to clear his rib cage. We heard the very distinct sound of a hit as well as observed the bulls drunken reaction including almost losing his feet and staggering around. The only conclusion's we have come to is a horn hit or a gut hit with some of the guts plugging the hole preventing any bleeding. I have seen both happen in the past.
Old 11-13-2004, 06:04 AM

I need some help. I am trying to find the rate of twist for the barrel of my ruger m77 . The rifle is chambered in 3006 . Everything is the original factory parts . The barrel length is 22 inches . I would like this information to help me decide what bullet grain weight would be best for hunting.