Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Hunting > Long Range Hunting & Shooting

Long Range Hunting & Shooting Nightforce Optics

Finally the Defensive Edge LRKM is unveiled

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-03-2011, 08:54 AM
Bronze Member

Re: Finally the Defensive Edge LRKM is unveiled

Is there a significant difference in lock time in your configuration vs the conventional set-up?
That would make a sweet set-up in a light weight version for sheep or mt goat.
Old 02-03-2011, 09:21 AM
Sponsor

There some issues that would require serious interest to overcome. Changing the action to something that is not a 700 LA footprint would require changing almost everypart on the rifle so given the amount of guys that would actually buy one in a 338 AM or 375 CT etc would probably not be enough to make it worth doing. If the interest was there maybe, even if there was there is no way I could make it under 16 lbs. as you see it in the picture ready to go it weighs 13.75 lbs it is actually lighter than our standard Canyon Rifle and 11 inches shorter! As far as chambering in other calibers that will be possible a little later on. We want to get over the initial "hump" first before we open the calibers up to "any mag or super mag chamberings". We are taking orders now but are about 8 months out due to the action leade times of 5-6 months. Color options will be black barrel / action and either Black, OD Green, or Coyote anodized stock tube etc. It is not quite the Henry Ford theory but for quite some time that will the the only options. There is no real option list as it has everything you could want all ready on it. The only thing you need to pick is color and ring, scope options. It is not cheap to have a CNC designed rifle made from solid billet, the rifle will sell for $4800.00 + optics. I had an idea when I started out and cutting any corner was not part of it. If you guys have any questions feel free to post them. I put the release of the LRKM out here first so you guys would have a jump on everyone else to see it. It has been a huge outlay of time and money, but if you know you have a good idea you just have to stay after it and it has been worth it. Glad you guys like it, I will post more photos later.

www.defensiveedge.net
1-208-687-2659
Old 02-03-2011, 08:58 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eaglet View Post
Do you get any???
Yes, but most of it goes to buy stuff for you.
Old 02-03-2011, 10:04 PM
Bronze Member

Any chance of a little video footage of this thing in action in the near future? I'd like to see someone behind the rifle working the bolt. It looks like it would be slightly cumbersome at first glance.
Old 02-04-2011, 02:28 AM
Sponsor

Clearly working the bolt will not be as smooth as a conventional rifle design. I took several ideas in consideration relative to bolt operation.
1. Very few people operate the bolt correctly, keeping the cheekweld , follow through and smoothly manipulating the bolt.
2. It is a single shot and a round will have to be manually loaded (probably with the strong hand)
3. In 99% of all long range shooting situations I have been in or part to, two things have happened the animal is missed my a large enough margin that it is confused or oblivious to the shot all together allowing all the time in the world for a follow up shot or a solid hit is made, a poor hit is made, or a close miss is made all of which usually send the animal into the next zip code or drop it on the spot. In none of these scenerios would a quick smooth follow up shot have made any difference.
4. Portability, 1st round accuracy, repeatability and a platform that is easy to shoot well all came in way ahead of how smooth the bolt was to operate in terms of importance.

So yes you have to roll the shoulder a little to operate the bolt (easy to do since most people will do this naturally when they get the next round) and yes it is a single shot but in the design of things these are minor gripes compared to the benefits of the setup. In the end there is no free lunch. The military groups that have seen it all asked the same thing, "Really nice but can you make it a repeater and make the bolt easier to manipulate? "Sure and it will look like the rifles tyou already have." I hope to shoot some video soon to post and show its abilities.

www.defensiveedge.net
1-208-687-2659
Old 02-04-2011, 09:41 AM
Platinum Member

New ideas always take some time to become accepted by the masses. There IS definitely a place for this type of gun and there are lots of great features that will grow on people as they spend some time with the gun or even spend some time thinking about it.
Old 02-04-2011, 10:21 AM
Gold Member

Shawn, if you need to take some video of someone shooting it, i guess i would do that for you!

Bill