Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Hunting > Long Range Hunting & Shooting

Long Range Hunting & Shooting Nightforce Optics

Finally after 12 years.............

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-05-2005, 09:38 PM

Re: Finally after 12 years.............

Well, Guess there is a dead "prong" walkin', just hope you use one of yours and let the rest of us be bystanders! [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]
Old 08-05-2005, 10:06 PM

12 Years? Boy, I thought that a shiras moose permit was tough!
With all this talk about there being less hunters every year, one might think permits would be easier.
Old 08-05-2005, 10:43 PM
Gold Member

For Goats I would use the 338 Kahn with a 350gr Wildcat bullet. Remember Kirby to bust bone on your first shot as you do not want him to get up and charge you. [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img] J/K You could always try out that 7mm 200gr with the J4 jacket. Congrats on the tag and what ever you decide to use will get the job done. Good luck on your hunt!
Old 08-05-2005, 11:23 PM
Official LRH Sponsor

Thanks for the replies. Ya know this area has had a 30 to 35% draw rate and it has taken me 13 years to get drawn for a permit. My poor dad has yet to get drawn and he started when I did. I would have much rather he gotten drawn to be honest with you but when he does we will be all over hell hunting for his big boy.

I have been thinking about this quite a bit. The 270 and 7mm are certainly the most practical and the most interested in of the family with good reason. Still, I was hoping to use one of those two this fall on a big Alberta Whitetail, preferrably the 7mm with the 200 gr ULD RBBT.

That said, I have alot of them to build and ship before my barrel will even get here so I may not get that one tuned in in time.

The 270 is ready to roll so that one will more then likely get the nod for the Canadian hunt.

Deep down though I have a real soft spot for the 257. Its the little over acheiver that started this mess that you guys have had to put up with for the last several months.

I guess I see it as my baby and can think of nothing better then slipping a 156 gr ULD RBBT though the ribs of a big buck at +1000 yards. This will probably be the one I use for the goat and leave the 270 and 7mm for the general big game season for deer and hopefully a shot at an elk as well.

I have not tested the new Lilja 1-7 257 barrels yet. I have a 30" #5 heavy fluted blank in the shop just waiting to get fitted. If this barrel offers the performance increase that the 1-8 270 barrel did, 3400 fps will be a possiblity with the 156 gr ULD RBBT!!!

Have to see what happens.

No matter what it should be fun. Its always fun hunting these critters but its much more enjoyable when I will actually be packing a rifle. Last time that happened was in the early 1990's!!

There will certainly be a report.

Hope everyone else out there will also be successful this season.

Kirby Allen(50)

Allen Precision Shooting
Home of the Allen Magnum, Allen Xpress and Allen Tactical Wildcats and the Painkiller Muzzle brakes.

Farther, Faster and Flatter then ever before.

Web Page: www.apsrifles.com

allenmagnum@gmail.com
Old 08-06-2005, 09:26 AM
Platinum Member

i sure hope you don't see one way out there and mutter, i wish i had the 7.
Old 08-06-2005, 04:02 PM
SPONSOR

I'm struggling a little with the mentality that puts in for a unit like that for so long while there are many other units in the state with nearly 100% draw odds and really good hunting. Unless there are B+C galore in unit 444 I just don't get it??? I have drawn antelope in Montana 11 years straight and the size and quality of bucks have been very good.
Old 08-06-2005, 05:26 PM
Official LRH Sponsor

Big Sky,

I agree, I could put in for a permit pretty much anywhere east of Great Falls and draw a permit every year.

The reason we put in for this area is because this is the area where we do all of our long range shooting year round. We know the area like the back of our hand and also knwo the herds as well.

We are able to scout at will with no pressure form outsiders such as you get with BLM land and such. I personally feel that while the numbers are not as high as out east, the quality of mature bucks is significantly higher on average.

THis is mainly I believe because the animals feed in alfalfa fields most of the year and produce significant mass on their horns.

Plus, its 10 minutes from my house. I can hunt every day and still get work done in the shop as well and not have to be limited to weekend hunts 300 miles away on ground I am not intimate with.

Lets just say its my back yard and I would rather wait to hunt there then go back east and shoot a goat every year and deal with the other hunters.

The goats here also seem to be much better tasting then sage brush fed goats. I have yet to taste a bad one, even my wifes +80" B7C buck last fall was VERY good eating.

Like I said, being able to hunt at home is what I enjoy the most.

Kirby Allen(50)

Allen Precision Shooting
Home of the Allen Magnum, Allen Xpress and Allen Tactical Wildcats and the Painkiller Muzzle brakes.

Farther, Faster and Flatter then ever before.

Web Page: www.apsrifles.com

allenmagnum@gmail.com