Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Hunting > Long Range Hunting & Shooting

Long Range Hunting & Shooting Nightforce Optics

Finally after 12 years.............

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-05-2005, 05:11 PM
Official LRH Sponsor

Finally after 12 years.............

I got on the Montana FWP website today to see how much money I donated this year to the cause instead of getting drawn for permits and was flat out amazed to see I was drawn for a firearm Pronghorn permit here in area 444.

This is the 13 year I have put in for a firearm permit in this area which was broken up by two years I archery hunted them but finally I got that little piece of paper that changes me from a guide into a hunter!!!

Better figure out what I will use on it!!! Any suggestions [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]!!!

No elk or other big permits though, baby steps I guess!!

Kirby Allen(50)

Allen Precision Shooting
Home of the Allen Magnum, Allen Xpress and Allen Tactical Wildcats and the Painkiller Muzzle brakes.

Farther, Faster and Flatter then ever before.

Web Page: www.apsrifles.com

allenmagnum@gmail.com
Old 08-05-2005, 05:30 PM
Platinum Member

Re: Finally after 12 years.............

You would only want to use bullets with a scientifically determined BC and that had been voted on and unamiously accepted. [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]
Old 08-05-2005, 05:41 PM
Platinum Member

Kirby:

First of all, congratulations on being drawn for the antelope permit!!! [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img] [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img] [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]

My first inclination, as you could probably guess, would be the 7mm Allen Magnum but thatís a little more than you need, and if I remember right, you initially said the 3 smaller brothers of the 7mm AM were designed for long range deer, antelope etc.

Any of the 3 would do the job quite well, but if it was a choice, for me, between the first 3 AMís, Iíd pick the 270 Allen Magnum. I know the others would easily do the job, but you went a long time waiting for the permit and if you really have to reach out and touch one under less than favorable conditions, my vote would go for the 270 AM.

But, feel free to use the 7mm Allen Magnum. That would be great with me. Man, what a hard choice. Just remember, everything you read or hear will only be people's opinions and the only one that matters is yours. I won't be surprised no matter what round you choose. Choose what you will and it will work out great. Just be sure to let us know all about it like always.

As far as the bullet goes, I won't even comment because I know what you'll be using!!!!

O.K. now that Iíve voiced my opinion, Iíll get my popcorn and cold drink and sit back and see what the troops have to say. Might be interesting. [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img] [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]
Old 08-05-2005, 06:29 PM
Silver Member

You could always throw a Snickers bar at it [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]
Old 08-05-2005, 07:07 PM
Platinum Member

Fiftydriver,
congratulations on the antelope permit!!!
I'm thankfull to the God I serve for the Elk permit I drew for Colorado. I can't wait till November comes.
Good luck in your hunt!

-----------------------------
HEBREWS 13:8
Jesus Christ the same yesterday, and to day, and for ever.

Our Lord Jesus said that as it was in the days of Noah and
also as it was in the days of Lot so it shall be in the days...
It's happening again!!! God sent to us His prophet, and His Word
to this generation and we once more are rejecting it as was prophesied!!!

---> As promised, God Sent His Prophet to us!
Old 08-05-2005, 07:37 PM
Sponsor

Kirby,

Congrats on the draw. I shot my first antelope near Lewistown MT. I suspect that whatever you take as a primary that the 338 K won't be far away. I expect we will see photos of something in the 17"+ range this fall? Best of luck.

www.defensiveedge.net
1-208-687-2659
Old 08-05-2005, 08:10 PM
Silver Member

Congrats Kirby,

I sure wish I could have the problem that you are facing. "Out of all these awesome guns that I make, which one do I use????" I am sure you will have great success and a wonderful time. Whatever gun you choose to use, may I suggest using a friend with a video camera as well. I want to sit back and eat my popcorn, snickers bar and drink a pepsi too. [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]

Curtis