Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Hunting > Long Range Hunting & Shooting

Long Range Hunting & Shooting Nightforce Optics

Filming long range shooting

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-22-2008, 12:21 PM
SPONSOR

Re: Filming long range shooting

I run a Cannon DC50 with 10X optical (digital X is no good, too grainy) with a telescope eyepiece ina Bushnell Spacemaste set up ina custom bracket I mader. The eyepiece is the key with different magnification levels using different mm focal lengths. I thought my system worked pretty good until I ran into a fellow long range hunter this year who showed my his set up. He had a Kowa TSN-822 Spotting scope with a Kowa TSNVA-1 digi-scoping eyepiece. Kowa makes an adapter to fit most of the small camcorder lens threads. The digi-scoping eyepiece has an adjustable focal length so vignetting can be totally eliminated. The eyepiece will magnify 7-9X the optical power of your camera. With a camera having 20x optical power and using this system you now have between 140-180 optical power! His camera had 40X optical power was digital recorded on a hard drive. I was amazed at the quality and the power this system had. He showed me a buck he recorded at 1100 yards and he was able to zoom in enough that you could see just the head in the screen. Points were easily visible and clarity was pretty good considering how much magnification there was. The only downside to that much power is any little movement or vibration really shows up on the film. But you can back the power off as much as you'd like and just adjust the focal length for a perfect picture. The system isn't too cheap but video is excellent. I'm hoping to put one together for this summer woodchuck hunting.

www.mcrifles.com
Old 12-22-2008, 01:26 PM
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by landcbeitner View Post
I use a Sony with 40x optical zoom with a zeiss lens. It does well, but youtube degrades the quality so much all our egg shooting footage doesn't translate well over the net. I make DVD's for my friends and family.
The DVD's turn out awesome. We used a 32x in the past and it worked ok too.
Old 12-22-2008, 08:03 PM
Silver Member

ok I got a canon 40x optical with 30 gb hard drive and also can record onto sticks, hope it shows up those 7-800 yard shots
Old 12-22-2008, 08:52 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by elkstalker300 View Post
ok I got a canon 40x optical with 30 gb hard drive and also can record onto sticks, hope it shows up those 7-800 yard shots
It will our 20x does well out to 800.

Jeff