Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Hunting > Long Range Hunting & Shooting

Long Range Hunting & Shooting Nightforce Optics

Field ballistic systems

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-25-2010, 01:22 PM
Platinum Member

Field ballistic systems

I want to expand to the tech age a little more for more precise long range shooting. I am somewhat of a computer dummy so was wondering what systems you guys prefer for accuracy and ease of use in field situations. Any advice would be appreciated........Rich
Old 01-25-2010, 02:16 PM
Platinum Member

Re: Field ballistic systems

I like the FTE program on my ipod that is currently in discussion. Not only can you pull up your charts, but listen to music, watch a movie, or play a game while waiting for your quarry!!! Well that is what I do between glassing fields groundhog hunting.

Tank
Matthew 7:13-14
"Enter through the narrow gate. For wide is the gate and broad is the road that leads to destruction, and many enter through it. [14] But small is the gate and narrow the road that leads to life, and only a few find it.

If you find your self in a fair fight, your tactics suck!- Marine 1st Sergeant Jim Ryfinger

Friends don't let friends develop canonitis!-chucknbach

arguing over the internet is like the special Olympics....even if you win, you are still...special!
Old 01-25-2010, 05:26 PM
Platinum Member

Really take a look at Loadbase 3.0 from Patagonia ballistics. It really has everthing but is as simple to run as you want to make it.
A recent upgrade added modeling for bullet drag and bc based on bullet measurements that you might be interested in. Another one is being able to work on ballistics on your desk top and then sync it to you hand held go to the range and then sync it back to the desk top. You can also scan a target and save it with the range info and load info.
You get both desktop and PPC for the one price no buying over if you want to change.
I can lay out 6 different tracks side by side on the desktop version and compare different bullets or loads then graph them or drop them to excel to make custom drop charts.
The list of things it does is stagering and growing.
Loadbase is really stacked but easy to use IMO!!

"Pain is weakness leaving your body"
Old 01-25-2010, 06:46 PM
Platinum Member

Forgot to mention that I have a Mac computer so systems that would be compatible with it would be what I'm after?........Rich
Old 01-25-2010, 07:06 PM
Platinum Member

Bummer!!!
I heard about a program on the radio for the Mac that lets you run windows aps but I can't remember the name. I think I would buy a 300$ mini just for this, or get an i-touch and run FTE.
I wonder about FTE's accuracy at more extreme range as it is running JBM and I have heard that kinda peaters out past 1000yrds.
I know the i-phone would be a a wreak for me, I would end up running it through something or running it over.

Old 01-25-2010, 07:20 PM
Platinum Member

I have "BULLETFLIGHT" on my iPOD. Pretty simple. It cost me $30.00 for the latest edition and down loaded it to my Mac.

joseph
Old 01-25-2010, 08:45 PM
Platinum Member

This is the program I was thinking, I don't know if it would let you down load and run windows base programs but it look like it might. Mac Virtual Machines and Virtual PC. Automation and Virtualization Software for Desktops, Servers, Hosting, SaaS - Parallels
I looked at E-bay and it looked like a guy could pick up an i-touch for about the same money you'll spend on a PPC but the programs are far cheaper for the i-touch.
Interesting