Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Hunting > Long Range Hunting & Shooting

Long Range Hunting & Shooting Nightforce Optics

FFP worth extra cost?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-08-2010, 10:24 AM
Gold Member

FFP worth extra cost?

Is FFP worth an extra $150? I would mainly use for wind hold off. Looking at Vortex viper pst 6-24x50
Old 07-08-2010, 10:49 AM
SPONSOR

Re: FFP worth extra cost?

IT all depends if you will remember to take the scope to the calibrated point each time when you shoot.
For field shooting, tactical matches and hunting I prefer FFP because it makes my system more idiot proof.
So for me-Yes. FFP is worth it.

For BR matches, and pd'ing I would rather have SFP.
Old 07-08-2010, 12:13 PM
Gold Member

Thanks thats what I was thinking. I just keep reading and reading reviews on scopes. I am really torn between one mentioned in original post huskeman and zeiss conquest.
Old 07-10-2010, 09:17 PM
Platinum Member

i gotta tell you, i just don't see what the big deal is with FFP scopes. for a hunting scope, a SFP is the winner hands down. the only thing, and i repeat, the ONLY thing a FFP scope can do better than a SFP is range on any power.with that said, a ranging reticle is a BACKUP system in case your rangefinder isn't working. most SFP scopes are set up to range on the highest power. now in my experience, it doesn't take very long to put a scope on the highest power, and wahlah, you can range. in my limited experience with ranging using the reticle, i like it on the highest magnification.the closer the view, the more accurate the estimating is.
the disadvantages are huge. in low light situations, when you turn the power to it's lower/lowest setting, the reticle becomes very thin. not what you need for low light. a very bold/heavy crosshair is what you need.
now let's shoot something at long range where you put it on it's highest power. DANG, the reticle is now very heavy. sure would be nice to have that fine crosshair for that long shot, but no, a FFP reticle is very thick on it's highest setting.
in my mind, i'll take a SFP scope every time, for a hunting gun, especially when we're shooting a little farther than most. the disadvantages far outweigh the one advantage that a FFP scope has.
Old 07-12-2010, 03:55 AM
Platinum Member

Why is it people who dislike FFP reticles (and usually have zero experience with them) seem to believe, without fail, that the absolutely only thing a reticle can be used for is "ranging?" Virtually none of us use our reticles for that in the field. But we do use them for other things. Like hitting the target.

It's like they have not found much use for their SFP reticles in the field so they don't use them for much of anything...so they never learn the advantages of using a reticle and it becomes self-fulfilling. Since they don't use their reticles for anything, being able to use the reticle adds no value. Of course if you can use the reticle on more than one power it suddenly becomes much more useful in the field.

So yes, if you don't ever plan on using the reticle for anyting--holdovers, wind holds, etc,--SFP works great. If you do plan on using the reticle for things, FFP is well worth it.

The "disadvantages" people with little experience list are easily negated by selecting the correct reticle for your application in a high quality scope.

Once you actually extensively use a good one (assuming you "use the reticle" for anything) the choice becomes a no-brainer.
Old 07-12-2010, 07:38 AM
Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon A View Post
Why is it people who dislike FFP reticles (and usually have zero experience with them) seem to believe, without fail, that the absolutely only thing a reticle can be used for is "ranging?" Virtually none of us use our reticles for that in the field. But we do use them for other things. Like hitting the target.

It's like they have not found much use for their SFP reticles in the field so they don't use them for much of anything...so they never learn the advantages of using a reticle and it becomes self-fulfilling. Since they don't use their reticles for anything, being able to use the reticle adds no value. Of course if you can use the reticle on more than one power it suddenly becomes much more useful in the field.

So yes, if you don't ever plan on using the reticle for anyting--holdovers, wind holds, etc,--SFP works great. If you do plan on using the reticle for things, FFP is well worth it.

The "disadvantages" people with little experience list are easily negated by selecting the correct reticle for your application in a high quality scope.

Once you actually extensively use a good one (assuming you "use the reticle" for anything) the choice becomes a no-brainer.
Thanks I was planning for using it for hold over for my windage.
Old 07-12-2010, 09:31 AM
Platinum Member

Answer to the question: YOU BETCHA!!!