Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Hunting > Long Range Hunting & Shooting

Long Range Hunting & Shooting Nightforce Optics

Ffl ?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-17-2008, 03:04 PM
Silver Member

Ffl ?

This may be the wrong forum for this question but I was pondering on getting my FFLs. The price is pretty reasonable I think, so what is the drawback. How come more people don't get one. I mainly want one for myself and family as we usually buy 3-4 guns year. IS it worth it?
Old 06-17-2008, 04:02 PM
Platinum Member

The BATF no longer issues FFL's to private individuals not operating a business. Too many guys were getting them just so they could buy a few guns a year for themselves at cost.
Pull it
Dump it

If it's not far, it's boring.
Old 06-17-2008, 04:36 PM
Silver Member

what if

What if I had a tax id # or storefront?

Quote:
Originally Posted by goodgrouper View Post
The BATF no longer issues FFL's to private individuals not operating a business. Too many guys were getting them just so they could buy a few guns a year for themselves at cost.
Old 06-17-2008, 07:19 PM
Platinum Member

Not worth it for 3-4 guns, Most small shops will order what you want for less than a $30 profit, or 10%. You have an ffl and now you have to keep books track firearms into your personal inventory and back to the store front when you return. If you have personal firearms pre ffl you have to tag them as such for them to be kept in the same "place of operation" That licence is an open invitation for BATF to inspect your place of buisness at any time. If I wasn't in the buisness that i'm in there is no way I would have an ffl.

I would just support my small local gunshop with a few sales every year.
Old 06-17-2008, 09:24 PM
Silver Member

Thanks guy I knew there had to be some downside.. Yeah doesn't sound that good anymore.
Old 06-17-2008, 10:19 PM
Platinum Member

I got an FFL in 1971, had a shop in my home for 6 yrs. Lotta paperwork for a little bit of savings. I did less than $10k per yr in business. Sorta wish I had stuck it out and went full time. A lot of the priv FFLs now are internet sellers on gunbroker.com and auctionarms.com. All legit businessmen, just no shop no hours no onsite pickup.

Sadly a lot of FFL's went by the wayside during the Komrade Klinton years as our fearful leader and his AG Janet Renokillemallinwaco. It got to be too costly then, as now, to just try to sell a few guns a year. Thing is now the jackbooted thugs at the BATF are picking on larger and larger totally legitimate FFL dealers in a backdoor effort at total gun control.

Read up on the BIG father son gun shop in Idaho if you want scary stories. Basically the BATF is doing to FFL dealers what it did to Randy Weaver in northern Idaho. And it isnt going to get better when Billary Obama is elected. The 2nd Amendment survived 8 grim yrs under Klinton it'll surely survive the coming 8 grim yrs.

NRA Life Member
Old 06-21-2008, 08:42 PM
Bronze Member

Coyboy:

How often did BATF inspect your place of business?