Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Hunting > Long Range Hunting & Shooting

Long Range Hunting & Shooting Nightforce Optics

Favorite "light" rifle.??

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-27-2003, 07:43 PM
Silver Member

Favorite "light" rifle.??

.. I know "light" is a relative term.. Especially in this joint.! [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img] What I'm talking about is a "carry weight" or "walking" type utilitarian rifle for general purpose hunting from groundhogs to whitetails.. What configuration and why.? With first shot, cold barrel shot placement being a very high priority.. Which scope sits on this rig.? TIA.. d:^) JiNC
Old 12-27-2003, 08:22 PM
Platinum Member

Location: The rifle range, or archery range or behind the computer in Alaska
Re: Favorite "light" rifle.??

Jake,

I have found that this configuration works well for me.

It would work well from ground hogs to whitetails. I have a Rem 700 stainless SA in 308 w/24" (would rather have 26") special R5 bbl. A McMillan M40A1 stock in desert cammo has been added, a Leupold mk 4 10x M1 on 20 MOA tapered bases is used. It has a harris bipod "Swivel" series on it as well. It weighs 13.5# complete. This is my personal favorite configuration for a "light weight" rifle. I have carried this rifle on several sheep hunts. It is my "go to" rifle as it has never let me down on a hunt. This rifle also has made first round hits at 800 yards w/a cold barrel. Cold meaning I took it out and tested it. Last year I left it in my truck over a cold night (-5 F.) then took it out in the field and fired one bullet, checked the target and then fired the rest of the group. Bullet #1 went right into the group! A semi heavy barrel to a heavy barrel in something like a 308 using medium loads vs a 300 mag is a good 1st cold shot set up. In Alaska that can be a major bonus on a LR sheep hunt.

Because this works so well for me is "why" I use it. This may not work for every one.

I would like to try the Christiensen carbon bbls for "light weight" cold bore shooting.

Regards

P.S. This is the same rifle I used to take a dall ram w/1 cold bore shot at 763 yards (my 1st LR trophy). A NF 5.5-22x scope was used on that hunt though. Every thing else has been the mk4 to take some weight off. It just "matches" the rifle better.

[ 12-27-2003: Message edited by: meichele ]
Long range shooting is a process that ends with a result. Once you start to focus on the result (where the shot goes, how big the group is, what your buck will score, what your match score is, what place you are in...) then you loose the capacity to focus on the process.
Old 12-27-2003, 10:54 PM

Jake, if your looking for a light weight gun I have a win model 70 compact in 308. I had the action bedded and the trigger lightend to 2 1/2 lbs. I have a lupy tactical in 3x9 the gun is just over 6 lbs thats light. I am still working on loads for best groups. I'm at just 1moa at 100 yards hoping to lower that. But for a penical 20" barrle that might be what I get? I still have yet to shoot long range with her but I'll let ya know how she does thou. [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img]
Old 12-28-2003, 06:17 AM
*WyoWhisper*

Exactly what Michael said!
Old 12-28-2003, 05:27 PM
Platinum Member

Location: The rifle range, or archery range or behind the computer in Alaska

Thank you WyoWhisper,

I will take that as a complement.

Your old 300 WSM M40 clone is just the right kind of rifle for what I like to do.

I am going to have a 300 WSM put together with the M40 stock and a 28" bbl #7 or #8 straight taper for the extra long shots. Probly a 12 or 11 twist. These kind of rifles to me are not "heavy" they are just right. 17-20 pounds is a heavy rifle. I like these kinds of set ups because they work.

P.S. Nice deer in the yard you have there. How hard is it for a guy to find mule deer hunting opprotunities in Wyoming? (no secret spots or anything) just a nice 25-30" 4x4.
Long range shooting is a process that ends with a result. Once you start to focus on the result (where the shot goes, how big the group is, what your buck will score, what your match score is, what place you are in...) then you loose the capacity to focus on the process.
Old 12-28-2003, 06:09 PM
*WyoWhisper*

Michael,

The M40 clone weighed 11 lbs total w/bi-pod.

you've got the right idea...

Not real had to find a 25" buck.. alot of public access.. all you need to do is draw a tag.... you have about a 70% chance...

The real big buck are in the Pinedale, Afton area but real hard to get a tag there....
Old 12-28-2003, 11:00 PM
Bronze Member

He did state light rifle, so that means less than 7.5lbs to me....

My light rifle is a stock Rem 700LA DM 280 Mountain rifle...Very Very Light...Not the most accurate rifle in the world just barely shoots 1MOA.

Fouls worse than any gun I have every owned...Shoot 10rds and clean for hours.

But if there is a long hike involved and I am shooting within 300yds...it the perfect weapon for me.

I have been toying with the idea of using the action for a project....

You should consider the Rem Mountain rifles, Now they are made by the Rem Custom shop and shoot very good.