Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Hunting > Long Range Hunting & Shooting

Long Range Hunting & Shooting Nightforce Optics

Factory ammo questions??

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-18-2012, 11:48 AM
Platinum Member

Re: Factory ammo questions??

Quote:
Originally Posted by grit View Post
I figured this was a long shot. Thanks for the input. How about Law enforcement? Do they shoot factory ammo?
Most LE shoot factory ammo as handloaded ammo could create some liability for them. Factory ammo generally works well for LE because they typically are not shooting long range. e.g. average handgun fire-fight is seven yards and a long sniper shot is 75. As a result, they do not need extreme accuracy.
Old 02-20-2012, 03:19 PM
Platinum Member

Re: Factory ammo questions??

Quote:
Originally Posted by trebark View Post
Most LE shoot factory ammo as handloaded ammo could create some liability for them. Factory ammo generally works well for LE because they typically are not shooting long range. e.g. average handgun fire-fight is seven yards and a long sniper shot is 75. As a result, they do not need extreme accuracy.
The liability comment is the truth. I know four tac team guys from four different departments in my area. They all use a Remingtom 700 of sort in .308 and use 168gr SMK's in one factory load or another. They were all pretty much unanimous on the following: because it is accurate and there has been more research on this round and the 175 SMK performance then any other. As far as the "not needing extreme accuracy" comment goes, they would disagree. They need pinpoint accuracy at shorter ranges, that is for liability/collateral damage as well. Three of the four said their rifles have to shoot 1/2 MOA or better, the other said he doesn't known if they have a standard... It just flat out shoots!

Factory ammo gets a lot of bad comments. I think the #1 problem with it is cost. I have a cousin that works for Remington and gets match grade and premium ammo for a price I won't even mention so as most dont wanna hear. I have a buddy that shoots nothing but factory ammo, some premium some generic and all his rifles shoot consistent 1/2 MOA. There is some good stuff out there. I kept a box of Remington 150 Scirrocco's for my 7 mag as backup in case I had trouble getting reloading components. They shot 1/2 MOA in my factory Savage. It would put almost all factory loads except Hornady (any for some reason) under 1 MOA. It really liked the 165 gamekings loaded by Federal, but I think they stopped loading them.
The lake city 175 SMK we are issued shoot fairly well from all our rifles, at least under the Army standard-which is kinda pathetic to most, but sufficient I recon.

Let me add; I load my own, there are reasons why we do it. I think that cost, wildcats, satisfaction, and accuracy improvent potential being the biggest reasons. But to some people it doesn't seem like it's worth the effort to even bother.

The people trying to say the 2nd Amendment is outdated are probably the same folks that would say the same thing about the Bible.

Last edited by Bravo 4; 02-20-2012 at 03:29 PM. Reason: Added info