Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Hunting > Long Range Hunting & Shooting

Long Range Hunting & Shooting Nightforce Optics

Factory ammo questions??

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-15-2012, 04:29 PM
Platinum Member

Factory ammo questions??

I often have customers who would like to pursue long range with factory ammo. I am not a factory ammo shooter, and have no experince with factory ammo in a precision setting. My experience with load work is each rifle has it's own ideal recipe for accuracy and tight velocity spreads. I steer factory ammo shooters towards calibers with known match quality ammo and lots of selection.

I would be very interested in some solid data. For guys running factory ammo in your long range rigs:

1. What caliber(s) are you shooting?
2. What ammo?
3. How many types did you try before finding a good load?
4. What accuracy and velocity spreads are you seeing?
5. What ranges are you testing and shooting at?
6. How consistent is the ammo from box to box?

Thanks!
Old 02-15-2012, 04:49 PM
Platinum Member

Re: Factory ammo questions??

I think that's going to be some tough information to get. Generally I shoot a box of cheap factory ammo in a new rifle just for the break-in process. After that, it's all handloads.

Although, now that I think about it, probably the most common factory ammo is Federal Gold Medal Match for the 308.
Old 02-15-2012, 04:56 PM
Platinum Member

most accurate are matchkings available in 308 and 300 win mag for long range paper target. balistic tips and accubond and berger are most accurate bullets for hunting. have not tried factory ammo. but those three are available in 7mm mag factory ammo i know.
Old 02-16-2012, 07:29 AM
Gold Member

Blackhills 308 175 SMK have worked great for me.
Old 02-16-2012, 02:07 PM
Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by midwesthunter View Post
Blackhills 308 175 SMK have worked great for me.
I have not used Black Hills but hear it is good. They have huge military contracts and do extensive testing (see last issue of Shotgun News). The only factory ammo that I have ever gotten to shoot nearly as accurately as my precision hand loads is Federal Premium Gold Medal. I hear that some competitors will use it in a match if they run out of hand loads or get in a bind.
Old 02-16-2012, 08:35 PM
Platinum Member

I agree with an above post, tough info to get. Of all the rifles I've owned in my life, I shot a few different types of factory ammo in each of them at one time or another, and never found the precision to match the handloads I had come up with. Maybe some folks are pleased with MOA accuracy at 200 yds, but I am looking for 1" 3 shot groups at 300 yds if I can get them.

In the 223, Black Hills stuff is MOA accurate in my Bushy factory AR, but in my custom AR, handloads beat the snot out of any factory stuff I could find, including the Federal premium match stuff. Black Hills beat out the Federal in both guns.

I once had a factory 22-250 Remington varmint contour that would shoot Four Corners factory ammo into 1/2 minute reliably, but I haven't seen any of that ammo for years. It shot some other brands into MOA accuracy.

Overall, considering all guns owned, I'd have to say that Federal Premium stuff has showed the most promise in my experience (although just not in the 223).

My problem with most factory ammo has been the occasional super group, but could just as easily throw a group of flyers next time out. I just don't have the desire to test 5 brands of ammo and a couple bullet weights of each to find something that my rifle really really likes..........that's alot of money spent on stuff that most likely wont do the job. IMO, in the long run they're way better off handloading for what the rifle likes, if you can convince them of that.

Old 02-17-2012, 10:49 PM
Platinum Member

I figured this was a long shot. Thanks for the input. How about Law enforcement? Do they shoot factory ammo?