Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Hunting > Long Range Hunting & Shooting

Long Range Hunting & Shooting Nightforce Optics

Factory Ammo People

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-09-2011, 01:16 PM
Platinum Member

Factory Ammo People

I just got a new rifle and everyone wants to see it and ask what is it. When I tell them it is a custom wildcat rifle they say where do you buy Ammo. I tell them you don't you have to reload. I get a funny look and have to explain I reload all my rifles and pistols except rimfire. Then I have to explain why I reload. I was wondering if some of these people even know the difference between 150 gr bullet and 180 gr bullet or they just buy what ever is on sale for thier guns. Do they know you have to set zero again when you change loads or they just shoot. Just curious if any of you run into same thing. Why do you reload? accuracy or savings or wildcat ammo.

Last edited by WyoElk2Hunt; 06-09-2011 at 01:29 PM. Reason: Added more
Old 06-09-2011, 02:46 PM
Platinum Member

Re: Factory Ammo People

Quote:
Originally Posted by WyoElk2Hunt View Post
... I was wondering if some of these people even know the difference between 150 gr bullet and 180 gr bullet or they just buy what ever is on sale for thier guns. Do they know you have to set zero again when you change loads or they just shoot. Just curious if any of you run into same thing. Why do you reload? accuracy or savings or wildcat ammo.

I've seen the same thing, ALWAYS makes me shake my head in disbelief. I do reload, along the same lines of which you speak. A handful of wildcats i.e. 6.5-06AI, 6-284, 22-243, 6mmAI etc, some rifles built for accuracy & some (Lazzeroni) which are ridiculously expensive at ~$100 per 20.
Old 06-09-2011, 02:47 PM
Platinum Member

Why I reload? I have reloaded wildcat cartridges, I have never saved any money reloading I suppose it's kind of the pursuit of perfection, trying to find the perfect combination of components for the task at hand.
While it's not painting your shield, and horse before the hunt there is an element of ritual to it, focussing your mind, visualizing what's coming, remembering what you've learned.
It's knowing that every round you've packed to the top of the mountain is capable of being the only one you need.
Old 06-09-2011, 03:15 PM
Platinum Member

Most people know very little and they seem to get by just fine. For some, ignorance is bliss. But the more I learn, the more I realize I don't know much.

I reload because I find it an excellent way to connect with and teach my son about physics, manufacturing, business, work ethic, and the rewards of setting and acheiving goals.

There are no cost savings. You can't justify it. You just do it. .

We just graduated from reloading to the lathe and have started building rifles. I can't wait for him to take his first deer with a rifle he had a hand in building. ...priceless

--richard
Old 06-09-2011, 03:18 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rscott5028 View Post
Most people know very little and they seem to get by just fine. For some, ignorance is bliss. But the more I learn, the more I realize I don't know much.

--richard

Well said my friend, just when you think you have it figured out.....
Old 06-09-2011, 05:49 PM
Silver Member

I reload for the cost savings, my Norma and Lapua are much cheaper to do myself than what I could ever buy for. The downside to it is I end up shooting a lot more. "why do you need another can of powder, didn't you just buy some? Uh no honey that was a different powder, honest" I also do it because I seem to find it relaxing somehow. After a long crappy day it just seems to help me forget as I concentrate on not screwing up the little thing that I intend on puposely making go boom literally inches from my face. That and as I get better and learn more I find that my rounds are getting more accurate.
Old 06-09-2011, 08:16 PM

A wiseman once said (think on this site5-8years ago) I don't reload to save money, I reload to shoot more!