Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Hunting > Long Range Hunting & Shooting

Long Range Hunting & Shooting Nightforce Optics

F-Class caliber?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-08-2013, 10:22 AM
Platinum Member

Re: F-Class caliber?

I would think the .284 would be the perfect option. It does everything you could want and barrel life is awesome!
Old 01-08-2013, 03:17 PM
Platinum Member

7mm-08!!!
Matthew 7:13-14
"Enter through the narrow gate. For wide is the gate and broad is the road that leads to destruction, and many enter through it. [14] But small is the gate and narrow the road that leads to life, and only a few find it.

If you find your self in a fair fight, your tactics suck!- Marine 1st Sergeant Jim Ryfinger

Friends don't let friends develop canonitis!-chucknbach

arguing over the internet is like the special Olympics....even if you win, you are still...special!
Old 01-08-2013, 11:35 PM
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Autorotate View Post
Banjo-Like Ronin stated....your ability to judge wind...is the single most important factor that you as the shooter can effect in LR precision/accuracy given a equal shooter/rifle/load.

A cartridge that drifts less at 900-1000 yds due to the effects of wind, will "make a rookie look good" in that although the wind call by the rookie shooter wasn't perfect, the effects of the imperfect wind call on the shot, won't be as much as an inferior exterior ballistically performing caliber.

Example: Using your ballistic software of choice, run the wind drift numbers for 5 mph of wind for both a 3100 fps .284 180 Hybrid bullet and your .308 (2700 fps 190 Hybrid?). It's fairly easy to miss 5 mph worth of wind over a 900-1000 yd shot on less then ideal days. Given equal shooters/loads/rifles, the difference in drift you see between the two calibers on your calculation will be manifested on the target.

Or just compete this season with a bunch of fellas shooting 7mms....and you not...that'd be another way for the light to come on
I dont use ballistic calculators...
Guns I own: 300 winchester magnum, 7mm Rem mag, 243, H&R 22 revolver, BT99 12 gauge, 20 gauge break action. 20 gauge pump, 22 break action, 257 Roberts, winchester super x 1. Wishlist: 308 winchester, 6.5mm-284 Norma, 17 HMR, 7mm RUM, another 7mm rem mag LOL, 44 magnum revolver, 30-30 lever action, 44 lever action.
Old 01-09-2013, 12:12 AM
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by liltank View Post
7mm-08!!!
YOUR A GENIUS!!!! I would have never thought about that!!! I wish it was called 7mm-243 though...would be awesomer
Guns I own: 300 winchester magnum, 7mm Rem mag, 243, H&R 22 revolver, BT99 12 gauge, 20 gauge break action. 20 gauge pump, 22 break action, 257 Roberts, winchester super x 1. Wishlist: 308 winchester, 6.5mm-284 Norma, 17 HMR, 7mm RUM, another 7mm rem mag LOL, 44 magnum revolver, 30-30 lever action, 44 lever action.
Old 01-09-2013, 01:10 AM
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by banjo318 View Post
Did I just loose interest in this thread????? Um yes! I would like to thank all of the very knowledgable people who contributed to this thread.
Old 01-09-2013, 04:45 AM
Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by banjo318 View Post
Banjo....You don't have to. I listed another method for the light to come on for you.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Autorotate View Post
Or just compete this season with a bunch of fellas shooting 7mms....and you not...that'd be another way for the light to come on
Why are you here anyway?

People come on this forum fall into two categories....they are here either to learn or share the results of thier experience to help others learn.

This forum isn't for trolls/tools who have nothing more than an interest in antagonizing others on a discipline (LR Hunting) that they know nothing about.

I've read your posts....you've contributed nothing IMHO to this great forum. And it appears as though you've chased off the more knowledgeable sages of your previous threads.

So my two cents to you...and others like you. edit Go to another forum. And yes....if we were in person I'd say the same...and trust me...you'd listen to my advice.

Or.... you could sit on your hands for while. Post respectfully. Learn. Become a better LR shooter. And then maybe someday, you can help someone else along...when they don't understand why a 7mm Rem Mag can "make a rookie look good".

Hope that wasn't to harsh. If it was for you....well toughen up Francis. You've got a lot to learn. You're going to have a helluva time learning LR hunting all by yourself with an attitude like yours. There's a lot of great knowledgable folks on here. It tweaks me to see someone like yourself muck this forum up.

Last edited by Len Backus; 03-30-2013 at 11:23 AM.
Old 01-09-2013, 07:46 AM
Platinum Member

Autorotate, that's why I decided to continue to post...somewhat. It was to give knowledge to those who stumbled across this thread and try to glean some knowledge. Better to have some good info rather than a bunch of nonsense. Though this thread could have had much better info. It's a shame really.
Matthew 7:13-14
"Enter through the narrow gate. For wide is the gate and broad is the road that leads to destruction, and many enter through it. [14] But small is the gate and narrow the road that leads to life, and only a few find it.

If you find your self in a fair fight, your tactics suck!- Marine 1st Sergeant Jim Ryfinger

Friends don't let friends develop canonitis!-chucknbach

arguing over the internet is like the special Olympics....even if you win, you are still...special!