Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Hunting > Long Range Hunting & Shooting

Long Range Hunting & Shooting Nightforce Optics

Extreme long range training

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-04-2007, 06:47 AM
Gold Member

Re: Extreme long range training

[ QUOTE ]
It's a little surprising that this training is regarded negatively here on LRH, and yet there are now 3 pages of positive remarks from people who have attended his training on
<>
Check it out for yourself.

Ross

[/ QUOTE ]

Ross...

I started this note by asking "My question is why you are continually promoting Dean - you sound more like a salesman than a "potential student"."

Then I went over and read the thread on "The 'hide", and low and behold, you are promoting the classes cuz you are one of the promoters. You started the thread with:

"I've been communicating with Dean Michaelis - bla bla bla bla... but will be between $700 and $500, limit is 10 participants.
Let me know, there are 6 spots open.
Ross"

In fact it's the very same post you started this thread with - you are a talking billboard.

Makes sense - you are in it for the money. A typical dean "Standard operations".

It would be nice if you were out front with that little bit of info, and said "Dean and I are going to run some classes...".

Dean was considered the worst "instructor" in the program, when he was in the service. When he got out, the first website he went to was "SniperCountry, a website that Dave King was a regular on, until he started this up.

Dean tried to convince the SC group that he was the best shooter in the world, maybe the whole friggin' universe.

Trouble was... several of his "military buddies" were on that site, including his former supervisor, Rick Boucher, head of sniper training. Dean was run off the site - and if you knew what a rowdy, trashy bunch of bums hang out there, you would know that it is HARD to get kicked off of SniperCountry, unless you are a real idiot, or are full of BS. Dean qualified on both counts.

When Dean got hired by Chey-Tac, he was like a kid with his first paper route... he new NOTHING about shooting at what we here call "long range". He and I had many (many - MANY) e-mails about how he should go about his new job - I hand fed him the information - how to test and evaluate bullet BC and drop past 1,000 yds, out to 2,000 yds and further... he had never done it. And this was not too long ago - around 2001~ish.

After a little while, he got full of himself, and started promoting himself, and the 408 over on Biggerhammer, and told that bunch that he was the best shooter around - he got the attention of a lot of beginning wannabees, who said "Ooooh" and "Aaaah", when Dean told them about the 20" groups he regularly shot at 3,200 yds...

... but the seasoned 50BMG shooters just laughed at the "new loudmouf'".

Dean regularly came up with his "own" theories about how guns and bullets worked... only problem was Dean has a really limited education, and so just as regularly, dean made a flaming ass out of himself in front of the whole bunch.

Dean is a fairly good shot, but there are a LOT of fairly good shots. Go to any Camp Perry match and you'll get buried in them.

Dean can impress the little kids, but in the world of serious "longrange" and "Extreme longrange" FIELD shooters, Dean is nowhere to be found.

Take dean to a part of the country that he hasn't been to, and hasn't previously marked the range distances on... and have him walk in with his kit... against other longrange shooters, and Dean will get creamed. Has has NEVER accepted a shooting challenge against skilled shooters.

Kids and newbees are real easy to impress.

Dean's courses consist of a few days about how great Dean is.

LRH member #23
Old 04-04-2007, 07:56 AM
Platinum Member

Thanks catshooter and David King (as well as Ross for trying) for the information. Even though I have no desire to spend money on getting "trianing" on long range shooting, it is good of you to warn people of possible fraud. I get my information from trial and error based on reading and advice from some local experts. There is quite a bit of illregard for Trigger fifty on several of the forums I visit--seems pretty clear that the guy isn't all he's cracked up to be.
Old 04-04-2007, 08:10 AM

Well, OK then. If Dean is so bad at this - who do you know that will put on a training. I have a long distance range, classroom and a few willing students.

Yes, of course I "billboarded" the call for students, who wouldn't?

No, there is no Dean and I, I just want some good training.

No, I'm "not in it for the money" that's a little weird to throw accusations like that. Oh, wait, if more people sign up it cost less, so maybe I'm in it for the money, again who wouldn't do that?

I'd like some good solid training and am scouring the Internet for that. That is all that is happening here, nothing subversive, immoral or illegal.

So, who do you know that will do a good A to Z long range training?
Old 04-04-2007, 08:46 AM
Silver Member

Shawn Carlock would get my vote for that. He is the only one I know though. Great guy to boot.
Old 04-04-2007, 08:49 AM
Platinum Member

[ QUOTE ]
Shawn Carlock would get my vote for that. He is the only one I know though. Great guy to boot.

[/ QUOTE ]

+1
Old 04-04-2007, 12:24 PM
Silver Member

If you can't get Shawn to do it, try to get Goodgrouper to spread some of his knowledge. He seems to be one of the best long range hunters/shooters on this board.
Old 04-05-2007, 11:18 AM
Gold Member

GG was going to start doing a class like this. email him and see. I would go with Shawn myself. He has the credentials to back up the knowledge.

d-a