Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Hunting > Long Range Hunting & Shooting

Long Range Hunting & Shooting Nightforce Optics

Extreme Long Range Shooting

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-01-2005, 10:32 AM
Bronze Member

Re: Extreme Long Range Shooting

hey where are you from in sask there are several of us from regina on this forum...
Old 09-01-2005, 11:18 AM
Writers Guild

Seekher2, nice to see another Canuck on the board.

Nice place you have there. Been in that country years ago. Yep, flat as a pancake. And then there is a tree!

I assume you are thinking about a plinking gun. At that range, trying to harvest any large game is well beyond my comfort zone.

So from a plinking perspective, you DON'T NEED a massive cartridge super boomer magnum. Fun though but not necessary.

What you do need is a bullet that will go sub sonic without loosing accuracy. The distance is far enough that ALL bullets presently produced launched from ANY cartridge and barrel will so subsonic. It's just a matter if its 1500yds or 2500yds. The only way to know if a bullet will stay stable is to launch it and see what happens.

I have launched 155gr Amax out of a 308 and gone to 1500yds. This bullet goes subsonic no problem at all. So, as some do, you can crank the rifle to the sky and launch bullets as far as you want to go. Some in the US shoot 308 to 3km's.

I prefer bullets of better ballistics and my favorite Canadian available and afforable are the 162gr Amax 7mm and 140gr SST 6.5. Out of the 7RM and 6.5-06, they are flying extremely well and at 1000m, very accurate. Assuming these bullet continues to do well after going subsonic, would be my top choices. BC for these bullets certainly exceed 0.6 (see my post elsewhere for data)

Don't get me wrong, I have monster 30 and 338 cannons as well. But availability of projectiles and cost of shooting these things is way up there.

Plus if the US restricts anymore reloading exports, you may have a rifle that you can't get components for ie 50BMG. Anybody you know stocking 240 or 300gr MK's?

If you like the high end tech stuff and want some high BC cannon fodder, contact Wildcat Bullets. They are in Sask I believe. I know he is a farmer too.

You should look at back issues of VHA as there was lots of info on guys trying to pop PD's at 2000 to 2500yds. They did not use the biggest cannons out there but their rigs were optimised for scope use and consistency.

Getting an adjustable scope mount for that range would be a big hurdle or a very expensive purchase.

At any rate, have fun and let us know how you make out.

Jerry

PS, if interested, I am selling my 6.5-06. Will be very inexpensive for a 1/4MOA shooter. Contact at jerryteo@yahoo.com
Old 09-01-2005, 07:36 PM
Platinum Member

Kirby, Is this the first you let your new project out of the bag? You were talking about a new project for extreme range some time ago. I think I even guessed it was a 33, And you tried to throw me off the scent. [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/shocked.gif[/img]
Old 09-02-2005, 06:30 PM
Gold Member

SeekHer2,
I agree with everything that fiftydriver and jr100%bs said

Uncle B you almost killed me with that one!! LOL!!!
I laughed sooo hard I flipped out of my chair backwards into the floor!!! [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img] [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img] [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]

No offense jb but you have to admit it was funny!!
Old 09-02-2005, 10:58 PM
Bronze Member

I'm in Winnipeg, Manitoba, not Saskatchewan.

This was posted to the same thread at another forum; Long Range Target Shooting and I thought that I should repost it here...From the February 2002, "Accurate Rifle Magazine" by Steve Hugel titled The Quest For The Two Mile Prairie Dog at this link Two Mile Prairie Dogs
Old 09-03-2005, 07:58 AM
Official LRH Sponsor

Coyboy,

Yes I was trying to keep things relatively quiet until I got the reamer design finalized and orders. The reamer is now in shop and ready to roll. Just have to wait for the 10" BAT receiver, 40" Lilja and McMillan BR50 stock to build the test rifle.

Everything should be here in October, right in the middle of big game season so it will probably be a December project.

The 338 Allen Mag will be the little brother in a two cartidge pair I am designing for extreme range shooting. The other will be the 510 Allen based on the full length 50 BMG case with the Allen Magnum shoulder and body configuration. Looking to get 3000 fps with a 750 gr match bullet compared to a standard 50 BMG which will get around 2750 fps in a standard length bolt action barrel, 32-34" long.

My test rifle should be here in a week for the 510 but I am waiting on the reamer and other tooling for that one. The test rifle will be an AR-50 from Armalite which I will totally tear down and accurize and then rebarrel with a 34" Lilja stainless pipe for testing the 510 Allen.

The only reason I mention this on this post is I have been discussing both with the originator of this post in great detail.

Hope this is not considered hijacking, back onto extreme range shooting.

Kirby Allen(50)

Allen Precision Shooting
Home of the Allen Magnum, Allen Xpress and Allen Tactical Wildcats and the Painkiller Muzzle brakes.

Farther, Faster and Flatter then ever before.

Web Page: www.apsrifles.com

allenmagnum@gmail.com
Old 09-04-2005, 09:09 AM
Bronze Member

Thank you Mr. Allen,

It's always nice dealing with a gentleman and the thread is there to be hijacked along the same lines...