Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Hunting > Long Range Hunting & Shooting

Long Range Hunting & Shooting Nightforce Optics

Exotic hunt recommendations

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-26-2008, 05:56 PM
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Troutslayer View Post
Think about how lame it would be to sit in some luxurious blind over a feeder waiting for some caged beast to come to the dinner bell. That stuff is not hunting. Go to Africa.
You saying they don't have fences in Africa? Probably never caught a planted trout either.
Old 05-28-2008, 11:28 PM
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by piutemike View Post
Probably never caught a planted trout either.
Yeah, I try to avoid stockers because they perpetuate a false idea that I am being part of a sporting tradition when I fish for them. They are stupid and weak, and usually don't survive very long in the wild. There are plenty of people who don't care or make a distinction. If you want to fish in an aquarium then go ahead.
Old 05-29-2008, 01:24 AM
Bronze Member

Come to Africa

Come to South Africa - it is good advice. We have a magnificently beautiful country PACKED with all shapes and sizes of game. A dollar buys you 7 rand and with that exchange rate you can have a ball!! Shop around for outfitters OR contact local farmers who double as game farmers. Sort your own accomodation out and pay radically reduced rates. Your most expensive item will be your flight. You can have a budget hunt you will never forget.
Old 05-29-2008, 05:49 PM
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Troutslayer View Post
Yeah, I try to avoid stockers because they perpetuate a false idea that I am being part of a sporting tradition when I fish for them. They are stupid and weak, and usually don't survive very long in the wild. There are plenty of people who don't care or make a distinction. If you want to fish in an aquarium then go ahead.
Guess what, I've never hunted a high fence ranch, the only trout fishing I do is for wild trout. My point was, they have high fences in Africa too. I don't think it is my place or your place to tell people where or how to hunt or what fish to catch. I'm sure different people hunt high fence for different reasons no need to rag on them.
Old 05-29-2008, 08:13 PM
Silver Member

been to africa three times,

and belive me, high fences are there, they try their best no to show them...

The first time I went to africa, when I had a beast on my sights, the PH told me that the animal I was aiming for was above average and I had to pay a premium if I take the shot... why do you think they only have certain species for you to hunt?

same as here in mexico, I have shot cape bufalo(cheaper than in africa) and elk in big ranches and yes it was a tough hunt. same as texas nilgai..

bottom line my experiences to africa (where I have shot plenty..) have been good but I would preffer other destinations, hunting in africa has become like prostitution...

the more money you have the better the trophies, and thats not hunting.

Joe from Mexico.
Old 05-30-2008, 06:33 AM
Bronze Member

Joe from Mexico

I am saddened to hear this. Operators (not all) also shun us as locals to lure dollars rather than rands BUT if you work intelligently you can by pass these guys and shoot what you like where you like. Big game like the big 5 might be a problem but everything else up to Eland is readily available. Hunting Africa is often mistaken for the big 5 but there are PLenty other species that are brilliant challenges. If anyone is keen I can point the way - send me a privet message and we cna work from there. (I can also put you on to operators who put on a good show)
Old 05-30-2008, 10:04 AM
Platinum Member

I hesitate to comment on this issue ,but what the hell.

First of all ,hunting any where in the world has become a matter of money
no matter where or what kind of hunting your doing.

To some it's not the hunt that counts it's the "TROPHY" harvested. and
to others it's the hunt it's self that counts they feel that it's ok if they dont
kill any thing Even though it would be nice as long as they are with good friends
and have a great time.

I personaly dont like high fences but I will not criticize those that do.because there
interest are more towards the size of the rack/trophy than the hunt it's self or maybe
they cant spend the time with a lease or public land to find good hunting.

As far as paying more for a nice/trophy in leu of a good animal you should know if
the outfiter has different prices for different classes of game before you book a
hunt with him. Surprises are the best way to ruin any hunt.

Throphy hunting has become to expensive and and less enjoyable to me so I have
changed my priorities and have been realy haveing fun and still being challenged to
keep it interesting.

This subject will never be settled because there is no real right or wrong way just
ones opinion and how he chooses to hunt.

So if you dont believe in a particular type of hunting "dont do it" and make the most
of what you like doing.

J E CUSTOM

Last edited by J E Custom; 05-30-2008 at 07:27 PM.