Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Hunting > Long Range Hunting & Shooting

Long Range Hunting & Shooting Nightforce Optics

Exotic hunt recommendations

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-03-2008, 12:44 AM
Silver Member

Exotic hunt recommendations

Just curious if anyone has any good recommendations for exotic hunts in Texas or other places. I am looking for somewhere with a lot of acreage and challenging hunting for good trophy quality animals. I am looking for blackbuck, axis, and maybe some sheep species. Any recommendations would be greatly appreciated.
Old 01-03-2008, 12:16 PM
Silver Member

Jed.
I have hunted in Texas a few times and I have had a great time. That stuff is thick down there and hunting over bait or food plots is the only way of consistently taking animals. Most setups are designed for a 100 yard shot. I am sure that you can find something. One thing we did is on our very first hunt to Texas we just booked a cheap hog hunt to see what we were getting into. Come to think of it, If you want to work on your long range shooting I bet they could corn the roads for you then drop you off but that only really works for Hogs and not exotics. It might work but once the hogs show up they push everything out.

Jason
The New Mexico Sportsman
Old 01-03-2008, 05:29 PM
Platinum Member

If you want a real long range hunting experience you might contact Lendell Laxton at L&L Hunt Service in Texas ((800) 316-6813, cell (361) 550-6532 plus he has a website. He has a variety of exotics but the best is his nilgai hunt. He has something unique - he bought a Barrett M99 in 416 Barrett and has it ready for long shooting. He will let his clients shoot the big boomer instead of their rifles - this is an experience in itself! He has some nilgai spots that are amazing for reaching out there - we killed a fine bull at 510 yards last year from the top of a stock dam. Overlooks a dry lake bed, maybe a mile wide by two miles long. The critters hang out in the flats, shots can be very long. Very high game populations, not a cheap hunt but sure fun! Has hogs out there also, they are excellent critters to work the .416 on
Old 05-22-2008, 01:53 PM
Silver Member

Think about how lame it would be to sit in some luxurious blind over a feeder waiting for some caged beast to come to the dinner bell. That stuff is not hunting. Go to Africa.
Old 05-23-2008, 03:03 PM
SPONSOR

Quote:
Originally Posted by Troutslayer View Post
Think about how lame it would be to sit in some luxurious blind over a feeder waiting for some caged beast to come to the dinner bell. That stuff is not hunting. Go to Africa.
You payin'????
Old 05-23-2008, 03:24 PM
Bronze Member

long distance shooting

One of the greatest places to shoot long distance that I am aware of is Colorado. It is there that the long distance kill record was set which was a prairie dog at 1.78 miles and this is not a typo. For long distance shooting at larger animals there are also Montana, Idaho etc or even Alberta for Elk and related. Course hunting in Canada requires a permit and they are not easy to come by. Just member, long distance hunting requires 2 distinct components (actually 3 if you include the shooter): 1) the rifle which would include the 30-378, the 338-378, the 338 lapua and so on, and 2) the scope which are available in a host of sizes and types - the 2 best of which are the Nightforce and the Schmidt & Bender but how many are willing to spend 1.5 to 3 thousand dollars on a scope. I would defintely recommend a smart phone or pocket PC including a palm pilot with the appropriate nightforce software which is amazing in its info and actually goes to 2000 yards.
Old 05-23-2008, 11:12 PM
Platinum Member

I would have to second Ian M's suggestion on the Nilgai because I have made
one of these hunts on the B Bar B ranch and it was tough.

There were no stands and it was a spot and stalk hunt.

After spending several days walking looking for a good 'BLUE BULL' we spotted a
good one at just over 800yards the trouble was that he had already spotted us
and decided to bug out.

So the next day we went to the same area and finally got a shot at just under
800yards By crawling up the side of a sand dune and staying prone while looking
for him. we even pushed tumble weed in front of us as we got close to the top
of the dune and stayed behind it to break our outline.

These things can realy see good!!!

When we finally spoted him we set up for the shot (We guessed 750+ and turned
the 7mm STW lose with a 140 partition and then we saw him bow up and run about
a 150yards before he went down.

At the time my longest shot was 817 yards so this was near my limit. But the range
was good and the shot was true and the bull was just over 11 inches (9" is considered
very good).

This was one of my best hunts and I am going to book another hunt now that I have
extended my range and have moved up to a 338.

This is truly a fair chase hunt and by no means easy ,the ranch we were on is just
over 100 thousand acres and there were only 4 hunters on the ranch while we were
there.

J E CUSTOM