Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Hunting > Long Range Hunting & Shooting

Long Range Hunting & Shooting Nightforce Optics

Exit wounds or not?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-23-2004, 11:14 AM
Silver Member

Re: Exit wounds or not?

IMO, I want a bullet that will expand, penetrate, and exit. The NBTs in the heavier weights have given me great performance on game from dang near point blank on out to moderate ranges. I think on the long range shots(450+)that alot of you all make, the SMKs and HDY AMXs are good bullets. Bullets are at such lower velocities at long range they need to be soft enough to open properly.

I've never seen the need for the tough bullets on the Deer sized game animals. In my experiences the tough bullets do very little damage unless major bones are impacted.

We all have our own experiences and our own preferences, that's what makes it so fun.

Good Luck!

Reloader
Old 11-24-2004, 12:15 AM

Whitetail are thin skinned animals and it all boils down to your preference. If you don't mind walking a 100 yds or so to find em, use the bullet you have the most confidence in. If you want to drop em in their tracks, use the ballistic tip, etc. Either one will kill em just as dead. I recently did some experimenting with SGK's and dropped both deer in their tracks with a smaller than expected exit wound. Still plan on playing with Nosler partitions and Barnes XLC's, but have had many years of (Drop em in their tracks) with good old Rem Corelokt's. They're inexpensive and fly pretty darn good! Bottom line - You're gonna kill em. Do you feel like walking or not?
Old 11-24-2004, 12:41 AM
Bronze Member

2 schools of thought. Some prefer two holes, that's two spots to leave a blood trail. Others want to dump all of the energy in the animal's lungs.

I prefer the bullet penetrate. First, you can't always take a broadside shot so you're limited if the bullet expands a lot.
And the controlled expansion bullets, like the Partitions, damage less meat should you not hit exactly where you wish.

But, we have choices, and the other folks eat a lot of deer steak, too.