Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Hunting > Long Range Hunting & Shooting

Long Range Hunting & Shooting Nightforce Optics

excellent second time at the range

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-04-2010, 09:32 PM
Silver Member

excellent second time at the range

well a couple of weeks ago now i completed my first action bedding it's not perfect i didn't put quite enough release agent on the action and a bit of bedding compound came out when i lifted the action out there is a ring around but 1/16" away from the front action screw and one spot on the tang, also i did not have quite enough compound in one small spot about a 1/4 of the way along the mag well on the left side i would say that the action is in contact for about 95-97% of the action for my first time i figure that that is okay especially once i went to the range for the second time. after waiting a week for the bedding to cure i headed to the range all exited to shoot my freshly bedded rifle then i shot it first group (all groups at 100m) 4", next 2", thrid and final group 1.5", then it dawned on me i have not clean my rifle in a very long time thinking back it must have been some were in the 60-80 round mark, so i took it home and decided that i would give my rifle one more chance after cleaning well it was the most i have ever removed from my bore and i could not belive i let it get that bad, so back to the range this time first group 4 shots 3/4" out side to out side well now i was exited and my next group showed it at 2". it was time to calm down with some 22lr fire. then i proceded to shot 3 3 shot groups in a row all under 1" and this is with a factory remington barrel so i was very pleased with my work.
i just thought i would share the story of my first bedding with you guys
Old 03-04-2010, 10:35 PM
Platinum Member

Re: excellent second time at the range

It's so much more gratifying when the work done is your own. It is even better when the work produced excellent results. Good job, and nice usage of the 22lr to keep your shooting basics in check.

Tank
Matthew 7:13-14
"Enter through the narrow gate. For wide is the gate and broad is the road that leads to destruction, and many enter through it. [14] But small is the gate and narrow the road that leads to life, and only a few find it.

If you find your self in a fair fight, your tactics suck!- Marine 1st Sergeant Jim Ryfinger

Friends don't let friends develop canonitis!-chucknbach

arguing over the internet is like the special Olympics....even if you win, you are still...special!