Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Hunting > Long Range Hunting & Shooting

Long Range Hunting & Shooting Nightforce Optics

Ever think about it a little????

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-20-2013, 01:04 PM
Silver Member

Re: Ever think about it a little????

After reading all the posts on this good threat, Iím both pleased and calmed down. At first, I thought that is just us Europeans hunting and shooting on distances between 100 Ė 250 m. Shooting longer than 300 m (on game) is the exception over here. I believe that no one would dare to tell officially that he/she was beyond. However, thatís a typical European thingÖ
Old 10-20-2013, 03:20 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrb1982 View Post
Greyfox, some good stuff in there. Seems like similar evaluation that Bernie Pellerite and others have done on the mental/personality side of archery. I like to shoot indoor targets so I have read a lot on this.
That article was in a Traditional Archery magazine. While I have always hunted with rifle,shotgun, and bow, I was a die hard longbow hunter, primarily still hunting whitetails. It was quite a challenging way to hunt, but when I tore an arm muscle I got lured into long range hunting during thr one yesr recovery and stayed with it ever since. I have no problem shooting a great animal at 50 yards though, and have certainly done it with my LR rigs.

"Let us speak courteously, deal fairly, and keep ourselves armed and ready"-T. Roosevelt
Old 10-20-2013, 04:22 PM
Gold Member

ive read all these post. its all about decisions. if you want to catch a tarpon
with a fly rod you committ to catching a tarpon with a fly rod. otherwise you will find yourself just fishing. same thing with shooting animals at long range.
its got to become that way or no way. otherwise it will continue to be the other way.
Old 10-20-2013, 04:26 PM
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greyfox View Post
I have no problem shooting a great animal at 50 yards though, and have certainly done it with my LR rigs.
Pretty much sums it up. hahaha I guess it is probably kinda like preparing to run a mile. You don't practice at a mile, you practice more than a mile.

So in all of our case, you don't practice at 50yds, you practice at 1000 to make the 50yds easier. hahaha
Old 10-20-2013, 04:41 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrb1982 View Post
So here I am hunting muley's in Wyoming a week ago. I am walking a ridge with my long range rifle, working the shadows with the wind in my face. I come up on some deer, I sit down, range them, 75yds. This gets me thinking.

Think of the amount of time that we all put in on the off season shooting, practicing, loading, tinkering, all the money spent. And most of us probably shoot animals inside of 500yds where maybe we wouldn't even need it.

I goes to show how much enjoyment we all get out of long range, even though we may only have to use it a handful of times in our lifetime. I started laughing to myself. It is like a hunting insurance policy, you know, I can shoot a 1000yds "just in case" hahahaha

I really have no point, just one of those random thoughts on a great day of hunting with some time to just reflect on stuff.

It's safe to say, we're all crazy!!!!! hahahaha
I'd imagine we've all thought about this from time to time, I know I have.

When it comes to the skill and equipment needed for long range proficiency though it's much better to have it and not need it than to need it and not have it.

The only thing worse than not being able to take that long shot with confidence putting that once in a lifetime trophy on the wall would be to see it wonder off to die slowly only to be lost because of a poorly placed shot.

Let's face it most people lack the discipline to simply pass on a shot that is beyond their practical range and that is how a great deal of game goes wasted every year. Those of us who practice at long range and put the money into the equipment that can handle it however tend to know and respect our limits. That comes from lots of practice and work.
Old 11-03-2013, 10:40 PM
Silver Member

Another fine example today. I go out today withball the gadgets required to make an efficient long range shot today, and end up killing my deer at 124 yards. hahahaha I guess since this is my last tag this year, I have a year to practice again.
Old 11-03-2013, 10:52 PM
Platinum Member

Thankfully I'm in a 4 Deer County... .