Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Hunting > Long Range Hunting & Shooting

Long Range Hunting & Shooting Nightforce Optics

Ever think about it a little????

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-19-2013, 04:29 PM
Silver Member

Ever think about it a little????

So here I am hunting muley's in Wyoming a week ago. I am walking a ridge with my long range rifle, working the shadows with the wind in my face. I come up on some deer, I sit down, range them, 75yds. This gets me thinking.

Think of the amount of time that we all put in on the off season shooting, practicing, loading, tinkering, all the money spent. And most of us probably shoot animals inside of 500yds where maybe we wouldn't even need it.

I goes to show how much enjoyment we all get out of long range, even though we may only have to use it a handful of times in our lifetime. I started laughing to myself. It is like a hunting insurance policy, you know, I can shoot a 1000yds "just in case" hahahaha

I really have no point, just one of those random thoughts on a great day of hunting with some time to just reflect on stuff.

It's safe to say, we're all crazy!!!!! hahahaha
Old 10-19-2013, 05:16 PM
Platinum Member

Re: Ever think about it a little????

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrb1982 View Post
So here I am hunting muley's in Wyoming a week ago. I am walking a ridge with my long range rifle, working the shadows with the wind in my face. I come up on some deer, I sit down, range them, 75yds. This gets me thinking.

Think of the amount of time that we all put in on the off season shooting, practicing, loading, tinkering, all the money spent. And most of us probably shoot animals inside of 500yds where maybe we wouldn't even need it.

I goes to show how much enjoyment we all get out of long range, even though we may only have to use it a handful of times in our lifetime. I started laughing to myself. It is like a hunting insurance policy, you know, I can shoot a 1000yds "just in case" hahahaha

I really have no point, just one of those random thoughts on a great day of hunting with some time to just reflect on stuff.

I have thought the same thing. It would be a lot easier and cheaper to keep my shots 500 or less. Pretty expensive insurance policy eh

That said, being able to do it is rewarding and ringing steel and killing rocks waaaaay out there is very cool.

You will never know how much it has cost my generation to preserve your freedom. I hope you make good use of it.
~ John Quincy Adams
Old 10-19-2013, 05:28 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrb1982 View Post

Ha! So true. I am pretty much to the point where the planning, prep, and practice is the reason for the hunt, not vice-versa.

But, there is no other hobby I'd rather have...
Old 10-19-2013, 09:02 PM

I here ya brother.
Old 10-19-2013, 09:49 PM
Platinum Member

I had 2 rifles on my bear hunt, 30.06 and 7RM. On the day I took my bear if I had the 7 with me at the moment I would have set up to shoot at 605 yards but I had the .06 instead. We easily closed the distance as it was early morning, dim light, and wind from the bear to us. After walking right at him 400 yards, I set up and shot him at 200. I like the idea of -just in case- but I rarely have been in situations where my shots are over 300-400 yards.
Old 10-19-2013, 11:06 PM
Silver Member

Too true. I shot my elk this year at a wopping 107 yards. I learned to shoot long range because in Wyoming you can always see deer on the next ridge. The insurance policy is expensive but it sure is fun to shoot that far.
Old 10-19-2013, 11:16 PM
Platinum Member

No doubt. It is much easier to get a 300y or less shot than past 500y. I have passed up several close shots in order to get one farther out.

Steve