Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Hunting > Long Range Hunting & Shooting

Long Range Hunting & Shooting Nightforce Optics

ever heard of this guy?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-17-2007, 11:12 PM
Silver Member

ever heard of this guy?

Thompson Shooting Systems, Inc. – Specializing in Long Range Rifle Shooting - Hunting DVD
Old 10-18-2007, 09:52 AM
Gold Member

Nope, but seems he really wants to sell you a rifle...and how does he knock what was it around $700 bucks off the rifle price if you take the class? Didnt see where you had the option of bringing your own rifle.

BY NO MEANS AM I KNOCKING THE GUY BUT THATS WHAT I GOT FROM HIS WEB PAGE! I think if he added more info to his website It may help....$1650 man thats pretty "spendy" for a class. Thats alot of money ($5000ish) for someone to pack into a gun that comes with a class. And looks like your getting a Weatherby and a Lica scope no other details.

Im going back to his site look at it again I DO NOT want to discredit or say something I didnt mean about the guy.

I will add this Ill have around $4400 in my custom and have spent enough time on this site I dont think 1000 yards is gonna be very hard at all. Also I would love the chance to shoot with some of the guys on this site IM 100% positive that they could teach me much more (than I know) for alot less than $1650 without selling me a rifle.

Might be a nice DVD!

Last edited by NYLES; 10-18-2007 at 10:12 AM.
Old 10-18-2007, 01:13 PM
Silver Member

I don't mean to hijack the thread but I agree with NYLES, there are a lot of guys on this board I would like to have teach me a thing or two, and with the attitude I get from most of them on here, they would do it for WAY less. I'm self-taught, and with all of the conflicting info out there it is hard to wade through it all.

Maybe to compare the cost you coulds find out the cost of Shawn Carlock's course. I don't know if it compares in content or not but I have heard good things about it here on the board. It might give you a basis for comparison.
Old 10-18-2007, 03:07 PM
Sponsor

My basic course is 2 days and is 300.00. A day of known range and basic long range info / fieldcraft and a day of field shooting 300-1250 yards. Several on this board have attended and I am sure some will run across this thread and jump in. If you are attending any for long range shooting be sure to find out what techniques are taught. I have been to schools that taught good techniques and some that taught not so good techniques. Just be sure what you are getting.

www.defensiveedge.net
1-208-687-2659
Old 10-18-2007, 05:37 PM

I'd save my money. There's a ton of info here and at other sites for precision reloading and long range shooting. There's absolutely no substitute for spent primers. If a person took the time to learn precision reloading and shooting from field positions, ranging targets with lasers and developed detailed drop charts for their rifle/load he/she would be surprised at the ability they would have to make shots at twice the distance that they can make now.

I donít know Shawn Carlock but, for the money he charges for his course, thatís a steal. I had close to ten years experience as an LEO, I'm sure Shawn brings a lot to the table. Good luck to all this hunting season.
Old 10-18-2007, 08:04 PM
Gold Member

Shwan glad you chimed in there on your own, Id like to take your class one year but didnt want to get you into this thread unless you wanted to be. Keep writing those articles ill keep reading them....great stuff!

Thanks again.
Old 10-18-2007, 08:45 PM
Sponsor

I try to stay away from "pimping" my business on the site unless some one asks for something. I really enjoy doing the classes and along with getting together with a great group of fellow LRH guys it is a nice break form the shop.

www.defensiveedge.net
1-208-687-2659