Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Hunting > Long Range Hunting & Shooting

Long Range Hunting & Shooting Nightforce Optics

Ever been deciding on a new gun and end up picking up a new bow instead?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-17-2013, 05:20 PM
Bronze Member

Ever been deciding on a new gun and end up picking up a new bow instead?

I've been really looking for a new gun to do some midweight hunting and found myself thining about upgrading my bow instead.. anyone else ever do an about face or get that wild hair? Dang you Elite Archery!!
Old 08-18-2013, 12:54 AM
Bronze Member

Re: Ever been deciding on a new gun and end up picking up a new bow instead?

Two different disciplines, really. I can tell you its a helluva lot cheaper to own and shoot a bow!
I'm just know getting into big game hunting. Here in az you have to put in to a lottery system to get drawn for any big game to be taken by rifle. I guess the fact that I had no bonus points, being new, meant I didn't get drawn for $#!t this year. Fortunately, archery tags can be purchased OTC. I had a decent bow that probably would have gotten the job done but ended up investing in a Mathews heli-m for my first hunt.
If you haven't tried archery or taken it seriously I highly recommend it. Its a great discipline.
Old 08-18-2013, 01:32 AM
Bronze Member

Been seriously thinking about it... I've got nothing but rifles; no handguns, shotguns, or bows. Been thinking about getting a bow so I can shoot in the backyard, and been thinking about getting a shotgun for bird season. Also been thinking about a new scope or two...
Old 08-18-2013, 09:45 AM
Bronze Member

I've been shooting bow since I was a kid but never hunted with it. Upgraded from my 1980s Indian bow to a nice used Elite Z28 a few years ago when I did a hunt with a few buddies, but never got an opportunity to take anything with it. My word how the technology advanced. Been thinking of going out and giving it a try again this year as my buddy has some property and not a far drive. So I've been practicing again and shooting a few buddies new 2013 bows.. and again I'm surprised how in just 5 years how much smoother, faster, lighter and quiter they are now. Giving reason for maybe getting something new since I have several hunting rifles already.
Old 08-18-2013, 01:17 PM
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by hawk45 View Post
I've been really looking for a new gun to do some midweight hunting and found myself thining about upgrading my bow instead.. anyone else ever do an about face or get that wild hair? Dang you Elite Archery!!

No

The 2nd Amendment......America's original Homeland Security.

Ethan Parke........roped the deer in 1953. Put tags in his ears turned him loose then shot him in 1955. Always liked this pic
The story was told to me by his wife who owned the little motel we stayed at on a deer hunt in Malta Idaho about 17 years ago...... Youll never see that again. Just a cool pic of Idaho deer huntin history
Old 08-19-2013, 06:08 PM
Gold Member

More than once,if you want to challenge yourself pick up a bow and crawl withing 40 yards of something,you might find the rush of the stalk alone can be more way more exciting than squeezing off a round at any long range.I hunt hard during archery season (odds of filling my tags with a bow arnt great but its my favorite season)and fill any left over tags later with the rifle,if I had my way id make it one one looonnngg bow season.I LOVE to shoot but Id rather stick an arrow in a less impressive trophy than kill a better one with a rifle,thats just me.At some point the hunt becomes more fun than the kill and archery hunting opens up a whole new season and many new hunting opportunity's!

Old 08-19-2013, 07:39 PM
Platinum Member

Sounds like a thread for the bow hunting forum???

You will never know how much it has cost my generation to preserve your freedom. I hope you make good use of it.
~ John Quincy Adams