Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Hunting > Long Range Hunting & Shooting

Long Range Hunting & Shooting Nightforce Optics

ER Shaw Barrels

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-01-2009, 04:13 PM
Bronze Member

Re: ER Shaw Barrels

Howdy,

I'll tell you my experience with E. R. Shaw barrels. Had two, both "shot out" in under 800 rounds.
My well meaning sons gave me a couple Shaw barrels. I barreled them up to a Rem. 700 and Mauser 98 action respectively. The mauser, caliber .22-250 never ever shot under an inch, and after 200 rounds would not group under 2 inches.... and yes the barrel was cleaned properly with Kroil and Butch's. The Rem. 700 was barreled in .280 Rem. and shot wonderfuly for 200 rounds. I could average 1/2 inch or better with several different loads. Gradually, it began to loose its edge and after 400 rounds I could feel tight and loose spots in the barrel as I cleaned it. I had shot some moly coated bullets through it (about 79 rounds) and thought that might be the culprit, but a close examination with a bore scope showed that the cleaning method was sound, but that the metal was not homoginous in several places along the bore. In two places the rifling had almost worn away, and another place was so rough that iit seemed tight as the patches went through it. I shot it another hundred rounds or so and rebarreled the action with another barrel from a different manufacturer. The new barrel does not shoot 1/2 inch groups, but it shoots .600" groups consistently and feels great with the cleaning rod and patches. It is just more consistent. The bore scope shows a very smooth and homoginous bore. Just to make this short, I won't use another Shaw barrel.

Coach

Oh, these barrels were manufactured after their so called re-tooling several years ago. I think their metal is just not the quality that the other barrel makers use!

Coach
Old 10-02-2009, 08:12 PM
Platinum Member

I have done a number of rifles with Shaw barrels. Back then I could get them in quantity for about $60 each I think. For hunting accuracy they all shot very well. Some shot outstanding. They are very rough when you recieve them and there is much extra work to finish out these barrels in comparison to top end barrels. For what a smith will charge you to finish out a shaw barrel you will not save any money so go top end. I think they are over $200 now and they are not worth that much.
Old 10-05-2009, 12:13 AM
Gold Member

I guess you think those Hart and Pac/Nor barrels will out shoot my good Shaw barrel? Probably will, mine will shoot moa use to shoot bug holes several hundred rounds ago too many 4200fps'
down the tube lots of dead whitetails though...What was that fellows name that headspaced my 6/06 A.I.?
Old 10-05-2009, 10:44 AM
Platinum Member

Norm Thompson in Colorado Springs is your man. I think both of us have Shaw barrels that will shoot with anything anywhere. Remember the 257 STW I had that shot one hole groups with the variable twist rifling. Started off slow, got fast in the middle, then slowed down toward the end. That was E. R. Shaw barrel. Not good quality control but it shot.
Old 10-05-2009, 02:21 PM
Gold Member

Yes I remember that 257 sure would shoot bug holes!Thanks, I couldn't think of Norm's name...
Old 10-06-2009, 09:20 PM
Bronze Member

I have a Shaw barrel on a Savage action 7mm Rem mag. I've yet to dial it in with the Berger VLD's that will be it's diet for LRH, but I have no complaints as to the barrel's quality. I "got it on paper" with another round and it shoots well. I think the proof is when I put some quality bullets through it and that will probably expose any barrel shortcomings. I honestly have not shot any other rifle with a custom barrel except for my National Match M1 Garand with a Douglas barrel on it. I am probably not the best judge of barrel quality since most of the rifles I have shoot beyond my current abilities, but I cannot fault the Shaw barrel I am currently using. Your milage may vary.

PS: It was the barrel on the rifle when I acquired it.
Old 10-06-2009, 10:18 PM
Gold Member

C1942 good luck with your load developement just keep in mind that these are low end barrels...