Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Hunting > Long Range Hunting & Shooting

Long Range Hunting & Shooting Nightforce Optics

ER Shaw Barrels

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-27-2009, 05:17 PM
Silver Member

ER Shaw Barrels

When it comes to barrel makers every thing I can find to read says that ER Shaw is at the bottem of the heap. They are sot of like the Barska and BSA of barrel makers. My question is are they really that bad and if so, are are they still better than a facory barrel.

Also, does anyone know why they don't guarentee their barrels.

http://web.me.com/rdsii64/shooter64
Old 09-27-2009, 05:37 PM
Platinum Member

Re: ER Shaw Barrels

I got a 6mm Ackley Shaw barrel as a gift. It has FAR exceeded expectations. I've shot it to 1000 yards many times, with lots of sub moa groups, and once at 1100 yards I did 4 shots in a row in about 5 inches.
Old 09-27-2009, 06:05 PM
Gold Member

i was fourtunate in getting an invitation to the shot show this year.
e.r. shaw had a large display there, and i spent considerable time talking with a rep.
i was told their main market is gun manufacturers.
ive only known a few whove owned their barrels, but none complained about them.
they are also building rifles on savage actions.
i believe 26" is the max on barrel legnth. they do offer chambering services, and have a large selection of cartridges to choose from.
Old 09-27-2009, 08:24 PM
GNERGY

I have a 15 inch shaw barrel on my .338JDJ Contender and out of a clean barrel I can put my first 2 shots touching at 200 yds with 180gr. nosler ballistic tips. My longest big game kill was an antelope at 429 yds.
I was at the range one day and 2 older benchrest shooters ( with their bull barrel 220 swifts ) that were also shooting at 200 yds were watching me clean the gun. Then I took a couple shots and went down range to check my target and they asked if they could come along. They were courious why I was shooting a pistol at 200 yds. I told them I was getting ready to go back to wyoming antelope hunting. Then they looked at my target and said if they didn't watch me with their own eyes, NO WAY could I convince them that I could do that.
Guess Shaw barrels are OK in my book.
Just my .02
Tarey
Old 09-28-2009, 10:45 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GNERGY View Post
I have a 15 inch shaw barrel on my .338JDJ Contender and out of a clean barrel I can put my first 2 shots touching at 200 yds with 180gr. nosler ballistic tips. My longest big game kill was an antelope at 429 yds.
I was at the range one day and 2 older benchrest shooters ( with their bull barrel 220 swifts ) that were also shooting at 200 yds were watching me clean the gun. Then I took a couple shots and went down range to check my target and they asked if they could come along. They were courious why I was shooting a pistol at 200 yds. I told them I was getting ready to go back to wyoming antelope hunting. Then they looked at my target and said if they didn't watch me with their own eyes, NO WAY could I convince them that I could do that.
Guess Shaw barrels are OK in my book.
Just my .02
Tarey

So after those two shots, what happens? Do you get major fliers? If you keep cleaning between shots, can you consistently place them in the same POA?

Tank
Matthew 7:13-14
"Enter through the narrow gate. For wide is the gate and broad is the road that leads to destruction, and many enter through it. [14] But small is the gate and narrow the road that leads to life, and only a few find it.

If you find your self in a fair fight, your tactics suck!- Marine 1st Sergeant Jim Ryfinger

Friends don't let friends develop canonitis!-chucknbach

arguing over the internet is like the special Olympics....even if you win, you are still...special!
Old 09-28-2009, 02:48 PM
GNERGY

I can keep them in an inch, maybe it is me cause the gun kicks pretty good.
My theory is you are going to be killing your animal out of a cold clean barrel, so those first 2 shots keep me on a positive note that I can hit what I am aining at.
Tarey
Old 09-29-2009, 03:12 PM
Silver Member

Though I have never owned one and never will,I have had lots of e-mails from folks wanting to know if they should send the barrel back, have someone handlap the bore, run abrasive bullets etc?

Are they a good barrel? That question need not be asked of a Kreiger,Benchmark,Hart,Lilja and others. Name brand barrel makers stand behind their product! There is a reason that this barrel maker is way cheaper than anyone. Bet it is not because of them putting time and effort into a top quality match grade product.

Hammer