Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Hunting > Long Range Hunting & Shooting

Long Range Hunting & Shooting Nightforce Optics

elk rifle help

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-06-2012, 10:12 AM
Gold Member

Re: elk rifle help

I just went through this as well (see thread in this same section titled Deciding on a new big game rifle) and what I realized is that a lot depends on what you are looking for and the amount of shooting you do. If you do a lot of shooting, you probably want to stay away from the RUMs as the barrel life is shorter. Also, if you do a bunch of shooting, you can get used to dialing in your scope for each shot. I personally decided on the 300 RUM because I don't shoot that often and have not gotten to the point of adjusting my scope for shots (yet ). I also plan on reloading my own loads, so that will cut down on some of the costs. Just throwing a few things out there that I picked up to help you make the best decision!

If you do see my thread, check out the link in there to Broz's loads. He has put together one impressive 300 WM and is having great success with that.

Good luck!
Old 11-06-2012, 10:43 AM
Platinum Member

+1 on shopping the classifieds here! you can usually get an entire Hunting rig for 50-60% of the original cost. Plenty of good CUSTOM long range rigs availible scope and all for under 2K.
Old 11-06-2012, 11:39 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rsess32 View Post
im looking into getting a new rifle for hunting out west, more specifically elk hunting and i was wondering if i could get some recommendations on a rifle that will be accurate at 1000 yards and still carry enough punch to take down an elk. I've looked a bit into the .300 win and wsm, .300 rum, .308, and the 6.5 grendel. What would you say is the best gun for this job? Thank you so much for your time.
If I was going to put together a rifle that would be ready by next elk season 2013 I would have my friend and local rifle smith put together my components and chamber it for the 300 Win Mag. With the rifle in hand I would work up a load using Nosler's new 210gr ALR-Accubond Long Range bullet.

If you are average as to the recoil you can put up with the 300 Win Mag in a 10lb rifle is great to shoot "without" a brake. The short mag would be the second choice but I personally prefer the tried and true 300 Win Mag.

There is something about the outside of a horse that is good for the inside of a man. Sir Winston Churchill.

Everything that is really great and inspiring is created by the individual who can labor in freedom. Einstein
Old 11-07-2012, 02:28 AM

thanks icanhithimman..... that helped a lot. I'll look into it. i appreciate the help
Old 11-11-2012, 10:54 AM
Bronze Member

7mm ultra mag, 180 berger 3230 fps. My rig. Seen/shot elk at 330,530 and 836 yards and Droped in there tracks. Muzzzle break light recoil. Works for me. I personally leave my 30 weatherby behind and take the 7mm ultra mag now. I shot my elk this year at 530 shoulder shot. Busted both shoulders and recover bullet just under the skin. Nice wound channel with lots of damage. I couldn't be happier. And it hammers the mulies.
Old 11-11-2012, 12:31 PM

I agree with the advice offered here re your 1000yd Rifle. I have no experience shooting elk at that distance. However ...I have shot dozens from 400-800. My preference is for a bullet .30 cal or larger, leaning toward the heavier weights as mentioned. Bullet selection is VERY critical as many good hunting bullets will not open sufficiently at the reduced velocities, unless they strike bone on the entry side. I have had fairly good success with Bergers opening up. Hit through the lungs, even these will not always open as much as I would like. I have had Hornady's, Noslers and Barnes exit with nearly identical entrance/exit wounds when impact velocities fall below 1700-1800fps. This is why accuracy and shot placement are probably more imortant than getting the last few FPS out of a load. If it has the accuracy, include a .300 Weatherby in the list. A .340 is great, but not so pleasant to shoot. I shoot a 8mm Rem mag and 7mm STW. each with 27" barrels....10-11lb rifles.

Steve in MT

Last edited by Longseven; 11-11-2012 at 12:33 PM. Reason: typo
Old 11-11-2012, 01:56 PM
Silver Member

Elk are big tough critters, bullet selection is a must along with good shot placement as noted. No fun pulling them out of hell holes.
A large 30 or 338 would be the way to go in my opinion for a long range rifle. I just re-built a 300wm with a break because I shoot better with less recoil as most do. All up weight of my rig is about 10lbs with bipod which is not too bad when carrying in the field. The bigger the better