Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Hunting > Long Range Hunting & Shooting

Long Range Hunting & Shooting Nightforce Optics

Elk lost with 208 AMAX?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-01-2013, 11:15 AM
Bronze Member

Re: Elk lost with 208 AMAX?

Please take into consideration the possibility of 2 to 3 inches of wet or muddy hide. Once again, good luck on your elk hunt.
Old 10-01-2013, 12:01 PM
Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtwarych View Post
Please take into consideration the possibility of 2 to 3 inches of wet or muddy hide. Once again, good luck on your elk hunt.

I've never seen a elk with 2-3" of hide and I've killed 30+. They have thick skin compared to deer but it still is no more than 1/2" thick with the hair in most spots on a elk (the vitals).
Old 10-01-2013, 12:20 PM
Silver Member

Edited for bad language by Len

Last edited by Len Backus; 10-02-2013 at 05:49 AM.
Old 10-01-2013, 01:45 PM
Bronze Member

I am sorry for my post. I have seen elk with mud, snow and other stinky stuff matted on their coats. I have seen 2" of ice explode off the side of an animal while spotting a shot for a friend. I did not realize that WY elk were so much different than MT elk. I wonder why the OP would be asking about elk lost with a 208 amax? Doubts? Well, in any case, good luck with your hunt. I bow out. Semper Fi.
Old 10-01-2013, 07:01 PM
Silver Member

My bad man. Just poking you a little bit. That might have been a little harsh, I see you only have a few posts on here and that wan't a very warm welcome. I apologize, I do see where you're coming from and I can see in extreme cold temps where a wet and muddy elk could have an extra layer of "armor" to have to worry about your bullet opening up early on. Don't take any offense and feel free to post on my threads anytime. I'm always open to any helpful information that anyone has to give.
Old 10-02-2013, 03:24 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by backyardsniper View Post
My bad man. Just poking you a little bit. That might have been a little harsh, I see you only have a few posts on here and that wan't a very warm welcome. I apologize, I do see where you're coming from and I can see in extreme cold temps where a wet and muddy elk could have an extra layer of "armor" to have to worry about your bullet opening up early on. Don't take any offense and feel free to post on my threads anytime. I'm always open to any helpful information that anyone has to give.
BYS, I've not shot Elk with them but I did shoot a couple of big hogs with them.

I've put literally thousands of Hornady bullets into game over the last thirty years or so and up and down the line they have performed very well for me.

On the big hogs, the AMAX is a no go for me. Way too fragile a bullet.

On deer I've had some good results as long as they don't hit bone. If you slip them through behind the shoulder or straight through the pipe they'll be fine for you.

I would however say if I were in your shoes and wanted to stick with Hornady bullets for this hunt I'd use the 180gr Interbond, or 190gr Interlock.

They fly right and will punch bone with the best of them.
Old 10-02-2013, 05:50 AM
PUBLISHER

Backyardsniper, I had to edit your language, please watch it!