Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Hunting > Long Range Hunting & Shooting

Long Range Hunting & Shooting Nightforce Optics

Elevation turrets and tape?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-13-2011, 07:43 PM
Bronze Member

Elevation turrets and tape?

Anyone on this forum use white electrical tape and "Sharpie" in the hash marks for confirmed yardage?

I'm thinking about it after I saw someone do it awhile back on a forum...pretty cool...and would simplify life for me on the CHEAP

I'm thinking out to 625 yds should be COOL for me on a reliable turret!!!
Old 09-13-2011, 09:14 PM
Platinum Member

Re: Elevation turrets and tape?

yep. works pretty good. I have my rifle zeroed for a long range, single loading bullet. then I have a second zero with the electrical tape with a fast and flat load that I only us to 500 Yards.
Old 09-13-2011, 09:35 PM
Gold Member

I do something similar but with a couple different ingredients.

I use the sticky labels that are intended to be used for addressing envelopes printed on a computer. Went to the local office depot store and bought a water proof felt fine tip pen.

You can cut the label very easily with a scissors to fit the diameter and height of your turret. Put the blank white label on your turret, as it has a slight sticky backing. I then mark my zero and put a 2 over it as my rifle is zeroed for 200 yds, then mark the 300 yd and put a 3 over it etc. I use long vert. marks for 2,3,4,5oo yd etc. , and shorter vert lines for 25 yd increments.

After my label is marked and ready to go I use clear packing tape cut to the size of the label with a scissors to go over the marked label which will make it about 90% water proof depending on how well you did it.

Very easy to peel off and redo if you change elevation, loads, bullets or whatever.

I use the above turret marking system mainly on my practice guns. One being a 22LR rifle that I practice to 300 yds with, a 8" 22LR pistol that has turret to 200 yds, and a 243 Win that goes out to 700 yds.. I practice at same elev., so after that I may need to make some minor adjustments for temp, press etc. but it is pretty straight forward. By the way - I'm on 3 revolutions of turret to get out beyond 300 yds with the 22LR with my scope.

Last edited by cowboy; 09-13-2011 at 09:48 PM.
Old 09-13-2011, 09:43 PM
Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cowboy View Post
I do something similar but with a couple different ingredients.

I use the sticky labels that are intended to be used for addressing envelopes printed on a computer. Went to the local office depot store and bought a water proof felt fine tip pen.

You can cut the label very easily with a scissors to fit the diameter and height of your turret. I then mark my zero and put a 2 over it as my rifle is zeroed for 200 yds, then mark the 300 yd and put a 3 over it etc. I use long vert. marks for 2,3,4,5oo yd etc. , and shorter vert lines for 25 yd increments.

After my label is marked and ready to go I use clear packing tape cut to the size of the label with a scissors to go over the marked label which will make it about 90% water proof depending on how well you did it.

Very easy to peel off and redo if you change elevation, loads, bullets or whatever.

Right-on!

That's exactly what I intend to do...but I didn't consider using the sticky address labels...great idea!

Do you find it "quick" to use on game?
The deer around here don't stick around very long...
Old 09-13-2011, 09:56 PM
Gold Member

No such thing as quick in my opinion when you're using a turret - especially if you are shooting at extended range.

How long does it take to get in position, range, check wind, make turret adjustments, relax, take proper aim and squeeze the trigger.

If I was to take a "quick shot" - I wouldn't need a turret, just use my zero setting and let her go.
Old 09-13-2011, 10:05 PM
Bronze Member

Quote:
No such thing as quick in my opinion when you're using a turret - especially if you are shooting at extended range.

How long does it take to get in position, range, check wind, make turret adjustments, relax, take proper aim and squeeze the trigger.

If I was to take a "quick shot" - I wouldn't need a turret, just use my zero setting and let her go.

I understand...I was just HOPING it would be a bit quicker than looking at my come-ups and counting clicks....by just dialing in the exact yardage as seen on the turrets that's all...

But good point and well-taken...I appreciate it
Old 09-13-2011, 10:19 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:

That's why I keep all my regular carry rifles zeroed at 450 and shoot mil dot scopes.

Of course I shoot on an almost daily basis and know my drops and hold unders from rote and just adjust as needed.

Trying to spini turrets in a hurry is just a recipie for mistakes.