Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Hunting > Long Range Hunting & Shooting

Long Range Hunting & Shooting Nightforce Optics

electronic bore cleaners

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-17-2013, 01:33 AM
Bronze Member

electronic bore cleaners

gentleman, I am thinking about buying an electronic bore cleaner but before I do I was hoping some of the more experienced folks on here could give me their opinion on them. I do not want to build my own due to no safety features like shutting off when there is a short. what is your experience with these and are there any precautions with them. Thanks
Old 11-17-2013, 01:56 AM
Platinum Member

Re: electronic bore cleaners

I like mine. My partner has one as well. A few years use and the gun's still shoot well. I from time to time wish I had a bore scope for view of what's actually happening in the bore.

I especially like using it on some older gun that's been proclaimed "shot out" I've seen it pull some serious fouling from these.

Only down side I've had is losing some of the smaller bore plugs, but that's pretty usual with me and small parts.
Old 11-17-2013, 09:11 PM
Platinum Member

Being from Idaho I'm a bit behind the rest of the world. :roll eyes:

What is an electronic bore cleaner?

Never heard of such a thing.
Old 11-17-2013, 10:36 PM
Platinum Member

Outers Foul Out Roy. I can't post links but Midway carried them. Looked it up and Midway says they are discontinued, evidently they didn't sell well in Idaho

I'll probably botch this explanation, but here goes: The kit consist of bore/chamber plugs, a metal rod, o-rings to keep the rod centered in the bore, an ac adapter, and solutions for lead or copper.

Plug the bore, fill bore with solution, place rod in bore, attach power to the rod, and wait.

It pulls the copper fouling to the rod, wipe the rod clean and repeat if needed.
Old 11-18-2013, 08:07 AM
Platinum Member

Thanks,

The older I get the more I seem to be not aware of things. . .

Here's a link. I think I'll stick with Eliminator. Vineger is bad juju for bluing.

Making the Surplus: Homade Electronic Bore Cleaner
Old 11-18-2013, 09:39 AM
Bronze Member

I bought one years ago to use on a .25-06 that had lost it's group.Cleaned it one time with the foul out and could not believe how much copper came out.Have kept it clean ever since with good bore solvents and 20 + years later it still shoots sub moa.Worth the money as far as I can see! Charles
Old 11-18-2013, 10:37 AM
Platinum Member

A platers dream. Electrolysis at it's best. Not a bad idea.