Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Hunting > Long Range Hunting & Shooting

Long Range Hunting & Shooting Nightforce Optics

Electric knife sharpener????

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-25-2012, 07:02 PM
Platinum Member

Re: Electric knife sharpener????

Quote:
Originally Posted by SidecarFlip View Post
I wonder if the Navy Seals carry one. They use Gerber Knives so I've been told. H&K rifles as well.
Seals operate much like we did/do. They carry what works best for them. I usually carried a knife sharpening diamond honing steel since it worked well and also is a very lethal weapon when needed. Usually though you don't worry about such things because most op's are not going to keep you out of in the field for very long at a time and things like sharpening knives is done in the barracks/base camp. Gerber and Shrade also used to make some very high quality flat steels that fit in a compartment on the knife sheath which were very practical.

When it comes to specialized gear like that pretty much everyone just furnishes their own.
Old 12-25-2012, 07:44 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by WildRose View Post
Seals operate much like we did/do. They carry what works best for them. I usually carried a knife sharpening diamond honing steel since it worked well and also is a very lethal weapon when needed. Usually though you don't worry about such things because most op's are not going to keep you out of in the field for very long at a time and things like sharpening knives is done in the barracks/base camp. Gerber and Shrade also used to make some very high quality flat steels that fit in a compartment on the knife sheath which were very practical.

When it comes to specialized gear like that pretty much everyone just furnishes their own.
I read 'No Easy Day' btw. Quite enlightening. Despite all the hoopla about divulged secrets, I didn't see any.........

I'm suprised they don't carry Havalon's.
Old 12-25-2012, 11:44 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SidecarFlip View Post
I read 'No Easy Day' btw. Quite enlightening. Despite all the hoopla about divulged secrets, I didn't see any.........

I'm suprised they don't carry Havalon's.
If you want to get a window into the world of our Spec Op's community and the caliber of people involved watch "Act of Valor" and read "American Sniper". In addition to "No Easy Day" they are great works.
Old 12-26-2012, 12:16 PM
Platinum Member

I've watched a buddy of mine try to gut, skin and debone a whitetail deer with his Havalon. It constantly got clogged with hair and especially fat. Half the time he needed another knife to unclog the fat which got into the slot where you change the blades and inside the folding handle. We both gave it a thumbs down.

This is what I use to process my deer. I use a 10" steel to keep it razor sharp while deboning which only took me 15 minutes on the third deer I did. I got better and faster after each deer.

joseph

PS: This is where I got them:

http://www.cabelas.com/product/Campi...0#BVRRWidgetID

http://www.meltontackle.com/products...iff-knife.html
Attached Thumbnails - Click to View Larger
Electric knife sharpener????-knife-hook-.jpg  

Last edited by joseph; 12-26-2012 at 01:54 PM.
Old 12-26-2012, 12:53 PM
Platinum Member

The drawback to a Havalon at least for me is the blade isn't at all flexible, it breaks. Other than that, I've had no issues to speak of. I wonder if yoyr associate's blade was dull. Mine goes through everything (except bone of course) like butter, so long as the blade is new.

I still pack a ripping (saw) knife and a small hatchet for the Pelvic bone....

The Havalon is still better (and sharper) that a conventional knife comparing apples to apples and I always have my trusty Case folder in a pocket. It's so old that the blade is getting concave from stoning.
Old 12-26-2012, 01:02 PM
Platinum Member

I used to use a saw to cut through the bones. Now I use pruning shears to cut through the legs, pubic bone and even the breast bone. Snip snip and you are done!!!!

joseph
Old 12-26-2012, 01:16 PM
Platinum Member

Here is how a butcher does it. I follow his system using the hook & the knife which works very well.

joseph