Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Hunting > Long Range Hunting & Shooting

Long Range Hunting & Shooting Nightforce Optics

Electric knife sharpener????

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-24-2012, 05:47 PM
Platinum Member

Electric knife sharpener????

Saw this on TV and thought it might be a good gadget to get.

Watch the video on the web site.

Work Sharp® Knife and Tool Sharpener | A.M. Leonard, Inc.

Anyone have one and how do you like it.

joseph
Old 12-24-2012, 06:13 PM
Silver Member

Re: Electric knife sharpener????

Yeah I just got one after looking at them for about a year and a half best sharpening system I have ever seen.

I was skeptical I have been sharpening my knives by hand ever since my dad taught me how when I was eight or so and have tried a few of the other so called sharpeners and they were terrible.

The Work Sharp is by far the easiest and best one I have ever seen if your knife already has a bevel that is close to the guides you can make them shaving sharp in a few minutes. I sharpened all my hunting knives, my wifes kitchen knives and my pocket knives in less than 30 minutes and you can literally shave hair with everyone of them.

I am a general contractor by trade and appreciate commercial grade tools I was pretty skeptical of all the plastic on this one, but it works awesome. Hope that helps

Jordan
Old 12-24-2012, 07:33 PM
Gold Member

It's a belt sander. I would no more use this on one of my good knives than I would sharpen them on a piece of sand paper. Get a good hard Arkansas stone and learn to use it before you ruin a good knife.
Old 12-24-2012, 07:53 PM
Platinum Member

I've had one for my utility knives but I still prefer the Gatco for the ones I sharpen. I don't sharpen many anymore. I got a Havalon (Len sells them on this site in his store BTW).

The Havalon is stupid sharp, it's a scapel. You can't shave your arm with it because it will take off a layer of skin at the same time....

Best part is, its inexpensive and when the blade gets dull, you take it off and replace it with a new stupid sharp one again...........

The Havalon people (in Cincinatti, Ohio) make scapels for the taxidermy, veternary and medical professions btw.

Best skinning ,deboning knife made, just be careful not to cut a finger off, it's that sharp.....
Old 12-24-2012, 08:25 PM
Silver Member

I have used a wheel sharpening system on leather knives and can tell you that you would have to be dense to ruin a knife with the work sharp and the honing belts if you have a lick of common sense you can get about any knife shaving sharp. I dont own any knives i dont use so i guess I see it as a good tune up tool that saves me time. I know how to use a good stone don't always have the time.
Old 12-25-2012, 04:34 PM
Platinum Member

I'm a gun and knife guy. I'm really a knife guy at heart and always have been. The thought of using such a contraption on a good blade makes me cringe and shudder.

Not everyone has the knack for knife sharpening and for those that don't here's a far better solution.

Just keep it clean and you can sharpen a hundred knives on it before replacing it for yet another 3.00.
Old 12-25-2012, 05:05 PM
Platinum Member

I wonder if the Navy Seals carry one. They use Gerber Knives so I've been told. H&K rifles as well.