Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Hunting > Long Range Hunting & Shooting

Long Range Hunting & Shooting Nightforce Optics

Effective 45-70 Kills Game+Shot Placement+Velocity & Proj. Weight

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-16-2012, 11:20 PM
Platinum Member

Re: Effective 45-70 Kills Game+Shot Placement+Velocity & Proj. Weight

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moki View Post
I'll bite on this thread...

The effective range of a 45-70 is the range that you can proficiently hit your target at.

You are dealing with momentum with these large heavy bullets not energy it takes a lot to stop them in other words if you can hit it in the kill zone you will kill it.

Momentum isnt the only factor, nor energy. For momentum to be usefull there needs to be sufficeint penetration. Which is where this cartridge sets its own limitations.

The bullet is going to shed its momentum/energy and speed faster when it hits an animal because of its big frontal cross section (we always call them pre-expanded bullets). I wouldnt be shooting an elk with the 45-70 gov much past 400 yards cuz' i dont think I would get much more than 8-12'' of penetration.

My group of guys have shot alot of big black bears with the 45-70 and love it. that being said, there is a reason that most people consider it a "close range" round. for deer know that it could be streched alot farther than 400 yards, but thats because deer is a much less dense medium than alot of other game out there.

Penetration. Thats my story and im stickin to it.

Old 06-17-2012, 02:49 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moki View Post
I'll bite on this thread...

The effective range of a 45-70 is the range that you can proficiently hit your target at.

You are dealing with momentum with these large heavy bullets not energy it takes a lot to stop them in other words if you can hit it in the kill zone you will kill it.

Varmint Hunter that is either an awesome bear in the pic or else you are only 3' tall...
Without energy there is no momentum. Energy is half of the equation.
Old 06-17-2012, 02:51 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by angus-5024 View Post
Momentum isnt the only factor, nor energy. For momentum to be usefull there needs to be sufficeint penetration. Which is where this cartridge sets its own limitations.

The bullet is going to shed its momentum/energy and speed faster when it hits an animal because of its big frontal cross section (we always call them pre-expanded bullets). I wouldnt be shooting an elk with the 45-70 gov much past 400 yards cuz' i dont think I would get much more than 8-12'' of penetration.

My group of guys have shot alot of big black bears with the 45-70 and love it. that being said, there is a reason that most people consider it a "close range" round. for deer know that it could be streched alot farther than 400 yards, but thats because deer is a much less dense medium than alot of other game out there.

Penetration. Thats my story and im stickin to it.
Energy, Momentum, Sectional Density, and expansion determine penetion.
Old 06-17-2012, 09:27 AM
Bronze Member

Agreed but energy is only a small factor in the equation these large rounds will kill large game at amazing distances the limit is the shooters ability to hit his target with the rainbow tragectory of this round.