Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Hunting > Long Range Hunting & Shooting

Long Range Hunting & Shooting Nightforce Optics

Edge over kill for KS white tail

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-09-2010, 09:42 PM
Silver Member

Re: Edge over kill for KS white tail

I Missed the shoulder and hit just behind it and the bullet entered between 2 ribs and never opened up just pencil holes in and out and the deer made it around 450 yards of heavy brush be dying . Yeah i used to party at Remingtons in the good old Days i think its a Furniture store now .
Old 12-09-2010, 09:45 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bridgebuilder View Post
Yeah i used to party at Remingtons in the good old Days i think its a Furniture store now .
SERIOUSLY! That place had the biggest dance floor I ever 2 stepped on! It was a pretty nice place that I can remember!

Tank
Matthew 7:13-14
"Enter through the narrow gate. For wide is the gate and broad is the road that leads to destruction, and many enter through it. [14] But small is the gate and narrow the road that leads to life, and only a few find it.

If you find your self in a fair fight, your tactics suck!- Marine 1st Sergeant Jim Ryfinger

Friends don't let friends develop canonitis!-chucknbach

arguing over the internet is like the special Olympics....even if you win, you are still...special!
Old 12-09-2010, 11:06 PM
Official LRH Sponsor

Do not mean this in any disrespectful way but let me see if I understand what happened.

You shot at a deer at 450 yards. Hit to far back, clipped the back of one lung, liver and guts, no solid bone hit, deer ran 1/4 mile and your unhappy with the bullet????

What do you think would have happened if you had aimed solidly on the point of the shoulder as you should have with that shot presentation, the bullet impacted on the shoulder and penetrated through both lungs and exited?????

Again, not trying to start anything but how can a poor impact not be blamed for the deer running 1/4 over what you claim as poor bullet performance.

I assure you, even a solid 338 bullet punched through both lungs will put any animal on the ground quickly. On the other side of the coin, you can hit even the smallest animal in the guts and leave one lung completely in tact and it will travel a long way.

From what I read, poor shot placement is all that I see was the problem. You hit nothing but EXTREMELY soft tissue. Should the bullet have expanded more, probably but you are shooting them at very low velocity and impact velocity at 450 yards would be even lower.

Point being, take the shoulder out and you would not have had any reason to make this post.

I have taken several dozen big game animals with match bullets, from 50 yards to 1350 yards, I have yet to have one get away, I have had a few that needed to be finished off and all of those were my fault for poor shot placement, not the fault of the bullet.

Hope I did not offend but I think you would have been much more impressed if you actually put that bullet squarely through the vitals instead of just nicking the back edge of the vitals.

Allen Precision Shooting
Home of the Allen Magnum, Allen Xpress and Allen Tactical Wildcats and the Painkiller Muzzle brakes.

Farther, Faster and Flatter then ever before.

Web Page: www.apsrifles.com

allenmagnum@gmail.com
Old 12-10-2010, 10:41 AM
Gold Member

I don't care what bullet you use a shot not placed well, is just that, a shot not placed well.

Perfect example of this is last Sat. I shot a medium sized yote with my 6-284 using 75gr vmax. Yote was only about 75yds away and my hit was slightly behind front shoulders and in the lower 1/3 of his body. It was such a close shot that I could see the spray come out the other side. It really showed up well since everything was white from there being about 6in. of snow on the ground. He spun around and ran like I had missed him completely for about 200yds then stopped, turned around looking at me and stood there. When he stopped and turned to look back at me I could see the exit hole in his off side. The hole was the size of a baseball. I was VERY surpised he was able to run that far that fast let alone stand there and look at me 200yds away but obviously I made a poor shot and didn't hit anything real important. Considering the size of the hole I would certainly say the bullet did it's job so the only blame could be placed on my shot placement. The 2nd shot literally knocked him stiff for a long winters nap.
Old 12-10-2010, 05:36 PM
Silver Member

Bridgebuilder,

This is my very limited experience with the .338 SMK. I shot the first doe at 155 yards hitting the high shoulder. The bullet took out the top of the shoulder and all of the spine . DRT The second doe was shot at 300 yards. The bullet entered the back of the rib cage and exited the offside shoulder. The exit wound was large enough to put your fist in. The insides of this deer was totally mush. I lost the rib cage and the one shoulder to waste. I will not shoot deer this close for meat with this rifle again. The rifle is a .338 Edge Shooting the 300 SMK at 2750 fps.
Old 12-10-2010, 10:01 PM
Silver Member

I did and always aim for the a good shoulder shot and have for the short 27 years i have deer hunted . I openly admit that i missed the shoulder but not real sure why the gun shoots under moa I am guessing buck fever might of had something to do with that I am human an make more than my share of mistakes. I have hunted with a 264 win mag and 257 wby most of the time on whitetail with absolutely no lost animals they all seemed to bleed after being shot and most just feel down this deer didnt. I am not sure i am using the wrong bullet or it didn't do its job i was expecting 3500lbs of energy to have more of a shock to the animal not just burn thru it even if it just hit the soft stuff. It sounds like its not a bullet for the less than perfect shot or marksman like me . You pros can keep makin the perfect shots 100%of the time i am going to see if I can find a bullet and load that works better for me in the real world where people make mistakes .
Old 12-10-2010, 10:14 PM
Silver Member

Sorry I get kinda wound up I do appreciate the input I have seen deer drop from one shot and the next shot run several hundred yard hit in what looks to be the same shot or point of impact . I have also seen coyotes with pencil holes in one and the next one cut almost into by the same caliber so I no you need a bone to open most bullets . I guess what i am really wondering is a small really fast bullet like i am used to any better or worse than these 300 gr pills going at a much slower velocity? ON Whitetails