Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Hunting > Long Range Hunting & Shooting

Long Range Hunting & Shooting Nightforce Optics

Eberlestock advice from the horses mouth

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-03-2009, 08:53 PM
Gold Member

Re: Eberlestock advice from the horses mouth

I've used an Eberlestock Gunslinger for the past year on three different hunts. I couldn't be more pleased with fit, comfort, practicality. You just need to remember the different/limited uses for each of his packs. I don't believe the Gunslinger was ever designed for a heavy "pack-in" type of use. It is more of a day pack, light duty hunting pack. A rifle, spotting scope, tripod, water, food & some light clothing makes for a pretty full Gunslinger. There is no way you can carry out your rifle, camp gear and a boned-out deer in a Gunslinger in a single trip. For its intended use, it does extremely well. If you are wanting a deep country backpack, any of the J-107 series is what you are looking for.
Old 03-05-2009, 07:25 PM

Re: Eberlestock advice from the horses mouth

I studied a few different packs for alpine hunting(Himalayan Tahr and chamois in the south island of new zealand).I thought the gunslinger a bit small for my body size with no adjustment for back length.
I settled on a j105 and lost it in a river crossing with all my gear and have just purchased a j107.
However I don't really like the scabbard on it as it is offset to the lefthand side,unlike the gunslinger which places it in a central position,I do not have a need for a quickdraw but for pack balance,I carry a Blaser LRS11 338 LM with a nightforce 5.5x22x56,so it is quite a heavy rig,and I have to balance out the weight of that with my spotter,camera,water bladder,etc.
I have measured the overall weight of my pack with Tahr skin,head and backlegs and it was just short of 75lbs,the scabbard on a steep downhill catches the back of my left leg and after a while it gets very tiresome.
I love the freedom of the integral scabbard but would like it in the centre as the gunslinger is.
I dont have any other issues with the pack it would appear to be holding up well to carrying plenty of weight,unlike myself ( I have just had a knee op for wear and damage).but am looking forward to getting back to it ASAP.
Regards
Nigel.