Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Hunting > Long Range Hunting & Shooting

Long Range Hunting & Shooting Nightforce Optics

East Texas Feral Hogs

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-20-2013, 10:24 PM
Gold Member

Re: East Texas Feral Hogs

mmm bacon!
Old 05-21-2013, 06:42 AM

I love hunting, and I love marksmanship. I shot NRA High Power, Long Range and Smallbore. Coached my county's 4H Shooting Sports Rifle team for 8 years, and saw my son win the Lousiana State Jr. High Power Rifle Championship and a number (don't know how many) of Gold Medals in the Texas State Shooting Sports Games. But, with all that, I have some issues with Long Range Hunting. Knowing about ballistics, mirage and wind drift, I know that there are way too many people that think they can accomplish this, and only end up flinging lead way off, or worse, wounding game. So, I normally don't even work to find long range opportunities past 400 yards, even for myself. I fully understand that there are many who have the skills and knowledge that enable them to take quality shots at over a 1000 yards and beyond. I also know that when hunting, you are not dealing with a static target, but rather a target that can move. When you are dealing with a long range target and a bullet flight time of 3 seconds, that animal can move, and result in a wound, even for the most skilled marksman. So, even though I have 6000 acres of leased timber company land, with a pipeline running the complete length, I just don't look for those long range opportunities that some seek. With that said, as I pointed out, there are situations that you can set up for those long range opportunities. Mostly, in East Texas, we are dealing with woods, though. Good Hunting!
Old 05-21-2013, 09:10 AM
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by chickm1 View Post
I love hunting, and I love marksmanship. I shot NRA High Power, Long Range and Smallbore. Coached my county's 4H Shooting Sports Rifle team for 8 years, and saw my son win the Lousiana State Jr. High Power Rifle Championship and a number (don't know how many) of Gold Medals in the Texas State Shooting Sports Games. But, with all that, I have some issues with Long Range Hunting. Knowing about ballistics, mirage and wind drift, I know that there are way too many people that think they can accomplish this, and only end up flinging lead way off, or worse, wounding game. So, I normally don't even work to find long range opportunities past 400 yards, even for myself. I fully understand that there are many who have the skills and knowledge that enable them to take quality shots at over a 1000 yards and beyond. I also know that when hunting, you are not dealing with a static target, but rather a target that can move. When you are dealing with a long range target and a bullet flight time of 3 seconds, that animal can move, and result in a wound, even for the most skilled marksman. So, even though I have 6000 acres of leased timber company land, with a pipeline running the complete length, I just don't look for those long range opportunities that some seek. With that said, as I pointed out, there are situations that you can set up for those long range opportunities. Mostly, in East Texas, we are dealing with woods, though. Good Hunting!
The whole point of this site is long range hunting. If you have a problem with that then ...
Old 05-21-2013, 09:41 AM

haha. We're good. It all depends on where you want to put your personal limits. He asked about if we had opportunities for long range targets. The answer is yes, but I generally am not recognizing the distances he is probably looking for, simply because I am not looking for them.