Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Hunting > Long Range Hunting & Shooting

Long Range Hunting & Shooting Nightforce Optics

Ear Protection?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-14-2014, 04:07 PM
Bronze Member

Ear Protection?

Well I figure if I get a 300 WM down the road I will probably want a muzzle brake on it. If that is the case I am going to want something to protect my ears when hunting. What do you guys like that isn't crazy expensive ($300+)?

Any ear plug that can be worn and automatically shuts off when the gun is fired (Walker Game Ears, etc) seems pretty cool.

However, if I can get away with just dangling some cheap ear plugs around my neck like I already do...then I will save some cash and stick with that.

Something like this seems like a decent option: http://www.cabelas.com/product/Primo...h-All+Products

Last edited by CC268; 05-14-2014 at 05:03 PM.
Old 05-14-2014, 06:00 PM
Platinum Member

Re: Ear Protection?

There's any number of products out there that meet your needs, it's all a matter of budget.

You can spend 13.00 on "Sure Fire Sonic Ears", or hundreds on electronic ear protection.

The particular product you're looking at appears to be the same as the Surefire just a little higher due to the Cabela's label.
Old 05-14-2014, 06:12 PM
Bronze Member

Yea I think I will stick with the cheapies...to be honest I may not even get a muzzle brake on the 300 WM since it will be a 8.5-9 lb rifle anyways.
Old 05-14-2014, 08:11 PM
Gold Member

Generally I run Caldwell electronic muffs, but I don't take them hunting except with pistols. I specifically chose the 300WM as my long range cartridge because I could have a rig which I could shoot without a muzzle brake and forego the ear protection.

I know it would be nice to always have ear protection, but that's not always realistic when hunting and 1000+ yd shots are rare enough when not specifically sought after that I elected to limit myself to 900 yds with the 300WM and carry backup plugs in my pocket.

Sure enough, when I got a shot at a long range elk he was above us with eyes on us and I had to shoot without thinking of ear protection. Most closer range shots with that rifle have also been quick enough that pausing to put in ears may have precluded making a shot.
Old 05-14-2014, 09:05 PM
Bronze Member

Yea I am just curious as to if I would need a muzzle brake for a 300WM if the rifle itself was around 9lbs...if I wouldn't then anything would work...if I did need a brake then itd be a bit of a hassle I guess
Old 05-15-2014, 10:07 PM
Silver Member

I use these for duck hunting all the time....inexpensive, I have yet to replace the batteries, and wear them in the rain all the time.

Hearing protection
Old 05-15-2014, 10:35 PM
Bronze Member

I just feel like carrying around a pair of muffs hunting would be a pain...