Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Hunting > Long Range Hunting & Shooting

Long Range Hunting & Shooting Nightforce Optics

Due to neck surgery

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-18-2013, 07:54 PM
Silver Member

Due to neck surgery

Due to recent neck surgery I have to hang up my 300 win mag and go lighter, my requirement are white tail deer out to 600 yards, recoil cannot exceed a 280 Remington. I am torn between a Tikka T3 in 7mm08 or 270, I know the 7 would be accurate, but out of 4 different 270 Winchester remingtons between me and my brother we have never had one that would shoot better than 1" at 100 yards. I plan to single load the rounds in the chamber with Berger Hunting bullets, I know the 270 is faster but the 7 08 is usually more accurate with a high bullet BC. what do you guys think, the rifle will be a Tikka T3 either has a 22.5 inch barrel. Is the 270 just naturally less accurate since its based on the 30/06 vs. the 7mm08 being based on the 308?
Old 09-18-2013, 08:07 PM
Platinum Member

Re: Due to neck surgery

Put a muzzle brake on the 300. My hunting/business partner uses brakes on his 300 mag, and 7mm Rem Mag with excellent success. Currently his 7mm-08 is his only unbraked rifle other than his 222LR's. If you shoot your rifle well, you're used to it and you like it just brake it.

I do not believe that there is such a thing as an "inherently accurate" cartridge, or one that is more accurate than another, no matter what urban legends may exist or whatever hogwash the gun writers throw around. Personally, my 7mm-08 was my least accurate rifle and was sold because it wouldn't get better than 3 inches at 100 yards. My 270s are probably my more accurate rifles (Wby Vanguards) and routinely shoot under 1 inch with factory ammo, which they did again today.
Old 09-18-2013, 08:16 PM
Silver Member

I shoot from elevated enclosed blinds so a muzzle break is pretty much out of the question, I am beginning to wonder if there is a caliber out that that is 1/2 moa with enough energy left for 600 yards. my wife and I both have Tikkas in 243 that always shoot 1/2" or better but I don't trust them past 300 yards.
Old 09-18-2013, 08:19 PM
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Vette View Post
I do not believe that there is such a thing as an "inherently accurate" cartridge, or one that is more accurate than another, no matter what urban legends may exist or whatever hogwash the gun writers throw around.
I completely agree with this statement. Having said that, I think a 7mm-08 may be a good go to rifle for you. or, maybe a 6.5mm option could be looked at.

Also, I know that braking my 7 RM made it recoil like my 243. I'm not sure about the 300, but a brake may make the rifle an option for you. Best of luck!
Old 09-18-2013, 08:36 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by startrek1761d View Post
I shoot from elevated enclosed blinds so a muzzle break is pretty much out of the question,
Don't you stick the barrel out one of the windows when you shoot? As long as the brake sticks out, you're fine.
Old 09-18-2013, 09:06 PM
Platinum Member

6.5-284 would be a good caliber. Or a 6.5 Sherman.

"Give me a minute...I'm good. Give me an hour...I'm great. Give me 6 months...And I'm unbeatable." - Col. Hannibal Smith

Ignore everything I say, because I have a reading comprehension and memory problem...

Quote:
Originally Posted by WildRose View Post
The 284 is to the STW what a tricycle is to a Ninja.
Old 09-19-2013, 11:13 AM
Gold Member

I would check out the 6.5x47 and 6.5 Creedmor. Both are very accurate and light recoiling as well as very capable taking deer out past 600 yds. The 6.5x47 would be my choice because of the Lapua brass. Good luck.

"Be polite, be professional, but have a plan to kill everyone you meet."
"I come in peace. I didn't bring artillery. But I'm pleading with you, tears in my eyes: If you f*ck with me, I'll kill you all." Marine General Mattis

Custom built 7mm SAUM