Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Hunting > Long Range Hunting & Shooting

Long Range Hunting & Shooting Nightforce Optics

Dry Firing?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-05-2012, 07:38 PM

Dry Firing?

I hear alot you guys talking about dry firing your rifles to practice trigger control, but some of the people that I learned to shoot from (mostly family) always said to keep dry fires to a bare minimum because it can do damage to your trigger mechanism. Is this true or am I just being to careful with my equipment.

I have mostly bolt action rifles and one AR-15, would there be more damage done to the trigger of one over the other.

If it is not going to hurt my rifles I am going to begin practicing more trigger control with dry firing.
Old 06-05-2012, 07:44 PM
Silver Member

Re: Dry Firing?

Pick up some snap caps if you're concerned, but in general dry firing will not damage modern day firearms if kept within reason.
Old 06-05-2012, 08:28 PM
Official LRH Sponsor

As said, if your concerned get a snap cap.

The truth is that dry firing is perfectly safe for most modern rifle designs but there are some that should not be dry fired because the firing pin designs are not designed to handle the unsprung stress of dry firing. Those that come to mind are the:

Win M70
Mauser (most models)
Springfield 1903

This is mostly because of the firing pin design more then anything else. I have not heard to many problems with the AR platforms but a 223 snap cap is pretty cheap insurance.

Allen Precision Shooting
Home of the Allen Magnum, Allen Xpress and Allen Tactical Wildcats and the Painkiller Muzzle brakes.

Farther, Faster and Flatter then ever before.

Web Page: www.apsrifles.com

allenmagnum@gmail.com
Old 06-05-2012, 08:32 PM
Platinum Member

IMHO, most rifles are fine the general rule of thumb is NEVER a rim-fire and NEVER a double rifle.
Old 06-05-2012, 08:53 PM
Official LRH Sponsor

Yes while they were not mentioned by the original poster, NEVER DF a rimfire or anything with an external hammers or side by sides as mentioned. You can really screw up a RF chamber QUICKLY by dryfiring.

Allen Precision Shooting
Home of the Allen Magnum, Allen Xpress and Allen Tactical Wildcats and the Painkiller Muzzle brakes.

Farther, Faster and Flatter then ever before.

Web Page: www.apsrifles.com

allenmagnum@gmail.com
Old 06-05-2012, 09:11 PM

Thanks for the info... Cleared up a bunch of misconceptions i had
Old 06-05-2012, 09:44 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DJSpradley View Post
I hear alot you guys talking about dry firing your rifles to practice trigger control, but some of the people that I learned to shoot from (mostly family) always said to keep dry fires to a bare minimum because it can do damage to your trigger mechanism. Is this true or am I just being to careful with my equipment.

I have mostly bolt action rifles and one AR-15, would there be more damage done to the trigger of one over the other.

If it is not going to hurt my rifles I am going to begin practicing more trigger control with dry firing.
Use a snap cap and you'll be fine.

It's great practice to learn better technique, and to establish the muscle memory necessary for consistent shooting.